These keto pizza stuffed peppers are just the thing when you crave pizza but prefer to avoid grains, carbs and excess calories!
I’ve been making these keto pizza stuffed peppers quite often for lunch. They are so, so good!
I feel pretty confident in saying that for most of us who adopt a healthy, low carb diet, giving up pizza is one of the hardest things to do.
For the most part, I have found that I can let go of my old eating habits fairly easily. After all, there are so many wonderful low carb and keto options! But pizza is one thing that I do miss.
My solution? Finding ways to enjoy the wonderful pizza flavors – tangy tomato sauce, bubbly cheese, and flavorful toppings – without them being attached to a high-carb, doughy base.
I think I’ve become pretty good at this (here are my low carb pizza recipes). These pizza stuffed peppers are a great example. You get to enjoy the pizza flavor, without the extra carbs and calories.
But is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. It’s great for anyone on a keto or a low carb diet, obviously. Peppers are very healthy and it would be difficult to argue that they are not an improvement over a wheat flour crust. As for the cheese, luckily current research tells us it’s pretty much harmless for most people.
I would concur that pepperoni is less than optimal. All processed meats probably are, although some researchers remind us that the studies linking consumption of processed meat with disease did have confounding factors. I use pepperoni in small amounts, to add flavor. But you can certainly choose to use other, healthier toppings, such as olives or red onions.
How to serve pizza stuffed peppers
I love making these pizza stuffed peppers for lunch. See the photos? That’s basically my lunch plate. Tasty and filling. If I make them for dinner, I do add an easy side dish such as microwave broccoli.
Can I keep the leftovers of these pizza stuffed peppers?
Yes, you can. Allow them to cool, then place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, on 50% power.
More bell pepper recipes you might enjoy
One of my favorites, and a very easy one, is this recipe for roasted bell peppers. And these ground beef stuffed peppers do require some work, but they are wonderful, and you can make them ahead and reheat.
Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 0.5 cup sugar-free pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Your choice of toppings (I used 4 slices uncured pepperoni)
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the core and membranes.
- Layer the filling: Spoon 2 tablespoons pizza sauce into each bell pepper half. Top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella, then with 2 more tablespoons pizza sauce, and finally sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Add your toppings.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil. Bake, uncovered, until peppers are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.