These keto pizza-stuffed peppers are just the thing when you crave pizza but prefer to avoid grains and unnecessary carbs!
I’ve been making these keto pizza-stuffed peppers quite often for lunch. They are so, so good!
I feel pretty confident in saying that for most of us who adopt a healthy, low carb diet, giving up pizza is one of the hardest things to do.
For the most part, I have found that I can let go of my old eating habits fairly easily. After all, there are so many wonderful low carb and keto options! But pizza is one thing that I do miss.
My solution? Finding ways to enjoy the wonderful pizza flavors – tangy tomato sauce, bubbly cheese, and flavorful toppings – without them being attached to a high-carb, doughy base.
I think I’ve become pretty good at this (here are my low carb pizza recipes). These pizza-stuffed peppers are a great example. You get to enjoy the pizza flavor, without the extra carbs and calories.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty keto meal (this is an overview. Exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
- Bell peppers
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella
- Pizza toppings
- Olive oil spray
How to make pizza-stuffed peppers
It’s so easy! The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by preparing the bell peppers. Cut them in half lengthwise and remove the core and membranes.
- Add pizza sauce, mozzarella and toppings to each bell pepper half.
- Spray with olive oil and bake about 20 minutes at 400°F.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. It’s obviously great for anyone on a keto or a low carb diet.
My own personal choice is to consume processed meats in moderation. But you can certainly use healthier toppings such as olives or red onions.
How to serve pizza-stuffed peppers
I love making them for lunch. See the photos? That’s basically my lunch plate. Tasty and filling.
If I make them for dinner, I also add an easy side dish such as microwave broccoli.
Can I keep the leftovers?
Yes, you can. Allow the pizza-stuffed peppers to cool, then place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More bell pepper recipes you might enjoy
One of my favorites, and a very easy one, is this recipe for roasted bell peppers.
And these ground beef stuffed peppers do require some work, but they are wonderful, and you can make them ahead of time and reheat.
Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 0.5 cup sugar-free pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Your choice of toppings (I used 4 slices uncured pepperoni)
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the core and membranes.
- Layer the filling: Spoon 2 tablespoons pizza sauce into each bell pepper half. Top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella, then with 2 more tablespoons pizza sauce, and finally sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Add your toppings.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil. Bake, uncovered, until peppers are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.