Delicious, easy and healthy Chinese style chicken vegetable stir fry features juicy chicken breast, and vegetables that are perfectly tender-crisp.
This chicken vegetable stir fry is one of the Chinese style dishes I make most often for my family (pork stir fry is another good one).
It’s an easy recipe, it’s healthy, and it’s very flavorful thanks to the Chinese style sauce.
Leftovers are great too – just make sure you reheat them gently, covered, in a 50% power microwave.
I was never much into Asian style food, until I met my husband. His parents spent several years working in China, and his entire family was enamored with Chinese cooking. He used to make me a wonderful dish of sweet and spicy shrimp, keeping the vegetables wonderfully crisp. That’s how I fell in love with Chinese cooking, though to this day, I still can’t properly handle chopsticks, and not for lack of trying. 😳
Like most stir fry recipes, most of the work when making this chicken vegetable stir fry is gathering and prepping the ingredients. Once you have your ingredients ready, the cooking part is very fast -this dish is ready in a matter of minutes.
Since we eat low carb, I usually serve this dish on a bed of cauliflower rice. If you don’t mind the extra carbs, white or brown rice would obviously work too.
Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, raw
- 1 lb. frozen chopped vegetables I used a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Cube the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Place the frozen vegetables in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and microwave 3 minutes. Stir, cover again, and microwave 2 more minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast cubes and stir-fry until no longer raw, turning the chicken pieces so that they are cooked on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables and the sauce. Cook, stirring gently, until everything is well-coated and sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.
- Off heat, drizzle with the sesame oil and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve immediately.