Delicious roasted okra is healthy, paleo and keto. Roasting it in olive oil is the simplest way to prepare it, and it takes the slime away!
This delicious roasted okra is wonderfully crispy. Roasting okra in olive oil is the simplest way to make it, and just as delicious as more elaborate methods.
How do you cook okra so it is not slimy?
Okra is one of those vegetables that people either love or hate. But I find that for many who supposedly “hate” okra, once they try it roasted and non-slimy, they change their minds!
High heat roasting takes away the sliminess typical to okra – the most common objection to okra is “eww, it’s slimy!” But roasted okra is not slimy at all. Plus, this paleo and low carb recipe is very easy to make.
How to make roasted okra
It’s as easy as can be! Simply toss the okra with olive oil and seasonings, then roast in a hot oven. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
What main dish can I serve with this recipe?
Since I cook it in a 450°F oven, I like to serve this side dish with a main dish that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve it with baked catfish, with baked Parmesan shrimp, or with Cajun chicken.
Is roasted okra healthy?
I believe it is. Okra has several health benefits, including its high antioxidant content, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. And if you’re concerned about using olive oil in high-heat roasting, you can use avocado oil instead.
What about leftovers?
I don’t usually have leftovers when making roasted okra. But when I do, I find that they keep okay for 3-4 days in the fridge, in an airtight container. I gently reheat them in a 50% power microwave. And while they’re not as good as fresh, they’re pretty good.
More tasty okra recipes
- 1 lb. fresh okra (350 grams after trimming)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Rinse the okra and drain on a clean kitchen towel.
- Trim the ends. Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan every five minutes, until lightly browned and tender.
- Remove the roasted okra from the oven. Serve immediately.