Delicious roasted okra is healthy, paleo and keto. Roasting it in olive oil is the simplest way to prepare it, and it takes the slime away!
This delicious roasted okra is wonderfully crispy. Oven baking is the simplest way to cook this healthy vegetable, and it’s just as delicious as more elaborate cooking methods.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Fresh okra, trimmed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to make roasted okra
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Toss the okra with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 450°F until golden brown and tender, about 15 minutes.
How do you cook okra so it is not slimy?
Okra is one of those vegetables that people either love or hate. But I find that for many who supposedly “hate” it, once they try it roasted and non-slimy, they change their minds!
High heat cooking takes away the sliminess typical to this vegetable. The most common objection to okra is “eww, it’s slimy!” But oven-baked okra is not slimy at all. Plus, this paleo and keto recipe is also very easy to make.
What main dish can I serve with roasted okra?
Since I cook it in a 450°F oven, I like to serve this side dish with a main dish that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve it with one of the following:
Is roasted okra healthy?
I believe it is. Okra has several health benefits. It is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. And the olive oil used to roast it is very healthy too. But if you’re concerned about using olive oil in high-heat roasting, you can use avocado oil instead.
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty okra recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. fresh okra (350 grams after trimming)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Rinse the okra and drain on a clean kitchen towel.
- Trim the ends. Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan every five minutes, until lightly browned and tender.
- Remove the roasted okra from the oven. Serve immediately.