Oven roasted okra is tasty and healthy. Paleo and low carb, roasted okra is one of my favorite side dishes. And when roasted, it’s not slimy at all!
This delicious roasted okra is wonderfully crispy. High heat roasting takes away the sliminess typical to okra – the most common objection to okra is “eww, it’s slimy!”
But oven roasted okra is not slimy at all. Plus, this paleo and low carb recipe is super easy to make. Simply toss the okra with olive oil and seasonings, then roast.
Roasting okra in olive oil is the simplest way to make it, and just as delicious as more elaborate methods.
Okra is one of those vegetables that people either love or hate, but I find that for many who supposedly “hate” okra, once they try it roasted and non-slimy, they change their minds!
I don’t usually have leftovers when making this recipe, but when I do, I find that they keep okay for 2-3 days in the fridge. I gently reheat them in a 50% power microwave, and while they’re not as good as fresh, they’re pretty good.
Another great way to prepare okra is by grilling it – check out this recipe for grilled okra.
- 1 lb. fresh okra (350 grams after trimming)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Rinse the okra and drain on a clean kitchen towel.
- Trim the ends. Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan every five minutes, until lightly browned and tender.
- Remove the roasted okra from the oven. Serve immediately.