A simple recipe for microwave broccoli, the easiest way to prepare the vegetable, simply dressed with melted butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Microwave broccoli is by far the easiest way to prepare broccoli.
I have quite a few broccoli recipes on this blog, some more elaborate than others. I make all of them – I really like broccoli.
But I’ll be honest with you – when I have a head of broccoli in the fridge, or a bag of broccoli florets, and it’s time to start dinner, 8 times out of 10 I make microwave broccoli.
Part of it is that, just like you, I’m lazy 😉 . Another part is that freshly steamed, tender-crisp broccoli is so delicious!
I dress the microwave broccoli with the simplest dressing – a squeeze of lemon juice, a little melted butter or a drizzle of olive oil, coarse salt and black pepper.
As long as the broccoli isn’t overcooked, it’s delightful – tasty, fresh and crisp.
An advantage to cooking broccoli in the microwave is that it’s a healthier cooking method compared to boiling in water – no nutrients are lost in the cooking water.
Watch the video – see how easy it is to make microwave broccoli, and how gorgeous the broccoli turns out, vibrant green and perfectly tender-crisp:
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the plate carefully - hot steam will escape. Season the microwave broccoli with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh lemon juice and melted butter. Serve immediately.