A simple recipe for microwave broccoli, the easiest way to prepare the vegetable, simply dressed with melted butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
I have quite a few broccoli recipes on this blog, some more elaborate than others. I make all of them often – I really like broccoli.
But I’ll be honest with you. When I have a head of broccoli in the fridge or a bag of broccoli florets, and it’s time to start dinner, 8 times out of 10 I use this recipe.
Part of it is that, just like you, I’m lazy 😉 . Another part is that freshly steamed, tender-crisp broccoli is so delicious!
How do you microwave fresh broccoli?
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. These are the basic steps:
- You place the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add a little water.
- Cover, and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Add your dressing, toss and serve.
I dress the broccoli with the simplest dressing. A squeeze of lemon juice, a little melted butter or a drizzle of olive oil, coarse salt and black pepper. As long as the broccoli isn’t overcooked, it’s delightful – tasty, fresh, and crisp.
Is it bad to cook broccoli in the microwave?
On the contrary! A clear advantage of cooking vegetables in the microwave is that it’s a healthier cooking method compared to boiling in water. No nutrients are lost in the cooking water.
What to serve with microwave broccoli?
This side dish goes with anything! It’s truly versatile. It goes with beef, poultry, and seafood. It can also make a great side to vegetarian dishes. I often serve this dish as a side to one of these main dishes:
Can I keep the leftovers?
You can keep leftovers for 3-4 days in the fridge, in an airtight container. But they won’t be as good as when served fresh. They tend to become soggy.
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the plate carefully – hot steam will escape. Season the microwave broccoli with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh lemon juice and melted butter. Serve immediately.