A simple recipe for microwave broccoli, the easiest way to prepare the vegetable, simply dressed with melted butter, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
I have quite a few broccoli recipes on this blog, some more elaborate than others. And I make all of them often – I really like broccoli. 🥦
But I’ll be honest with you. When I have broccoli head in the fridge or a bag of broccoli florets, and it’s time to start dinner, eight times out of ten I use this recipe. Part of it is that, just like you, I’m lazy. 😉 Another part is that freshly steamed, tender-crisp broccoli is so delicious!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need five simple ingredients to make microwave broccoli. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Fresh broccoli florets: I’m lazy, so I buy the pre-washed bags. But it’s not difficult to wash and dry the broccoli and cut it into florets.
Kosher salt: If you use fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Black pepper: Freshly ground tastes best.
Fresh lemon juice: It’s OK to use bottled lemon juice, but freshly squeezed does taste better.
Butter: I use unsalted butter, and I love yellow creamy European butter! But any butter will be great in this recipe.
How to microwave fresh broccoli
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. These are the basic steps:
1. You start by placing the florets in a microwave-safe bowl and adding a little water.
2. Cover the bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
3. Add your dressing, gently toss and serve. That’s it!
I dress the broccoli with the simplest dressing. A squeeze of lemon juice, a little melted butter or a drizzle of olive oil, coarse salt, and black pepper. As long as the broccoli isn’t overcooked, it’s delightful – tasty, fresh, and crisp.
Another tasty option is to dress the broccoli with this thick and creamy cheese sauce.
Is it bad to use the microwave?
What to serve with microwave broccoli?
This side dish goes with anything! It’s truly versatile. It goes with beef, poultry, and seafood. It can also make a great side to vegetarian dishes. I often serve this dish as a side to one of these main dishes:
Can I keep the leftovers?
Yes. You can keep the leftovers for 3-4 days in the fridge, in an airtight container. But they won’t be as good as when served fresh. They tend to become a little soggy. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty broccoli recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the plate carefully – hot steam will escape. Season the microwave broccoli with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh lemon juice and melted butter. Serve immediately.