An easy recipe for baked soy sauce chicken thighs. Marinate briefly, then bake for one hour at 350 degrees F, and your tasty dinner is ready!
This easy recipe for baked soy sauce chicken thighs is my own loose interpretation of the classic Chinese recipe.
Classic soy sauce chicken is quite complex, and I admit I’m far too lazy for that! It calls for marinating cut up chicken pieces in a mixture of soy sauce and spices, then gently boiling until done.
In my recipe, I marinate the chicken thighs briefly. I then bake them in the oven, basting often, until the tops are beautifully browned and the inside is tender and juicy.
If you don’t have time to marinate the chicken, you can skip this step (as I do in the video), but the flavor will be less pronounced.
But is soy sauce healthy?
I realize that not everyone likes soy sauce. It’s not paleo, and it’s high in sodium. Personally, I don’t mind using it in moderation and I don’t think it’s necessarily unhealthy. But you can certainly use a gluten free or a paleo substitute, if you wish.
How to serve soy sauce chicken?
I usually serve it with cabbage stir fry – the flavors go really well together. It’s also good with Chinese green beans, or on a bed of cauliflower rice. The “rice” works well to absorb the yummy cooking juices.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers of these baked soy sauce chicken thighs keep well for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. They are delicious cold, or gently reheated in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More chicken thighs recipes you might enjoy
Soy Sauce Chicken
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaqspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 lb.)
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag and add the chicken thighs. Place on a plate and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour, turning the bag midway.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the chicken thighs from the bag and arrange them in a baking dish large enough to accommodate them in a single layer. Pour the marinade on top and use your hands to massage it into the chicken thighs.
- Bake until well browned and cooked through, about 1 hour, basting the tops with the cooking liquids every 20 minutes. Rinse the basting brush with warm soapy water after each use.
- Remove from oven, baste one more time and serve.