An easy keto recipe for butter chicken, a wonderful Northern Indian dish of intense, complex flavors. Great over cauliflower rice!
The list of ingredients for this butter chicken recipe may seem long, but don’t let that deter you from making it. It takes just a few minutes to assemble everything, and once that’s done, the cooking itself is a matter of minutes.
This butter chicken recipe requires just 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. To avoid waste, either use the remaining tomato paste in another recipe (such as this ground beef meat pie), or divide the leftover tomato paste into small plastic containers and freeze for later use. An ice cube tray with a lid works well for this.
How to serve butter chicken?
This flavorful, saucy dish is traditionally served on rice, which serves well to absorb the tasty sauce. For those following the keto diet, cauliflower rice makes a very good substitute. In addition, I often serve this dish with a side of a green vegetable, such as microwave broccoli.
Is butter chicken healthy?
I think it is. Chicken is healthy. The other ingredients here are real-food ingredients. In addition to the basic nutrition info provided below, a serving of this dish has 660 mg of potassium. It also has 75% of your daily niacin requirements and 30% – 40% of vitamins A, B6, C, phosphorus and selenium. Add the nutrition from the cauliflower rice, and yes, I would say that keto butter chicken is a healthy choice.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep fairly well for 3-4 days in the fridge, though they’re not as good as fresh. To avoid drying the chicken, reheat the leftovers gently, covered, in a 50% power microwave.
Easy Butter Chicken
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- Measure out the cream and remove from the fridge, to bring it to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, use a small spatula or a fork to mix together the tomato paste, water, kosher salt, garam masala, curry powder, paprika and crushed red peppers, to create a thick paste. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger and seasoning paste and cook 1 more minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken cubes. Stir well to coat. Sauté the chicken on all sides for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Keep cooking over medium-high heat, stirring, 3-5 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Lower heat to low and stir in the heavy cream to create a silky, creamy sauce. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.