A very tasty keto zucchini casserole that tastes like pizza without the grains and carbs.
This tasty, cheesy zucchini casserole gives you a delicious pizza-like experience, while remaining keto and gluten free. It’s an easy recipe: salt the zucchini slices to remove excess liquid. Mix with marinara sauce and spices. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake until browned and bubbly.
You really do need to salt the zucchini
It’s an easy recipe, but one step that you should not skip is salting and draining the zucchini. This step is not hard to do. It just requires patience, and it’s important. It helps get rid of excess water and keeps the zucchini casserole from becoming soggy.
I don’t like zucchini. Will I like this casserole?
Well, obviously I think it’s delicious! But I love zucchini. However, I do have a very picky eater at home who has a hard time with many vegetables, zucchini included. This zucchini casserole is one of the only ways to get her to eat zucchini. And do so willingly while asking for seconds! 😮
Is zucchini casserole healthy?
How to serve zucchini casserole?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for about 3 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power. They are also surprisingly good when eaten cold!
Other zucchini recipes you might enjoy
- Olive oil spray
- 4 medium zucchini (1.5 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a square 8" baking dish, or an equivalent casserole dish, with olive oil spray.
- Slice the unpeeled zucchinis into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place in a colander. Sprinkle with the salt and allow to drain at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the drained zucchini to a large bowl. Add the marinara sauce, black pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Mix everything together.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and with the Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is bubbly and browned, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. Like all casseroles, this zucchini casserole tastes best when warm or at room temperature.