Juicy and flavorful oven baked spicy chicken drumsticks are just the thing when you’re faced with making chicken drumsticks AGAIN, and want to spice things up.
I’ve been making these spicy chicken drumsticks often lately. We all love them, and they’re not too spicy – not even for the kids. Although if you like your food really spicy, you might want to use 1/2 teaspoon cayenne instead of 1/4 teaspoon.
I make chicken drumsticks often, so I always look for ways to make them more interesting, especially for the grownups. These oven-baked spicy chicken drumsticks fit the bill. The rub is very tasty, and the drumsticks emerge from the oven juicy and flavorful.
How to make spicy chicken drumsticks
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s an easy recipe – make a quick rub, rub it on the drumsticks, then bake the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes. Dinner is ready!
Must I remove the skin?
Not at all. This is a personal preference – one of my kids tends to gag when facing chicken skin (it’s a texture thing, I think). So I often remove it. But from a health perspective, there’s no reason to remove the chicken skin.
What to serve with spicy chicken drumsticks?
I like to serve these spicy chicken drumsticks with sautéed spinach and roasted butternut squash. The chicken and the butternut squash can be roasted together in the same oven, which I find very convenient.
What about leftovers?
I don’t usually have any leftovers when making this recipe. But when I do, I find that they keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power. Or simply eat them cold! They are delicious right out of the fridge.
Spicy Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 medium chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wipe the chicken drumsticks dry with paper towels. Place them in a baking dish.
- Prepare the rub: In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and spices to create a thick paste. Pour the paste over the chicken thighs and, using your hands, rub it well into the chicken pieces, on all sides.
- Bake the spicy chicken drumsticks until cooked through and juices run clear, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.