In this delicious buffalo chicken recipe, juicy baked drumsticks are coated in a tasty sauce made from melted butter and hot pepper sauce.
Buffalo chicken is one of my most reliably loved chicken recipes. As long as I don’t make it too spicy, everyone loves it – adults and kids.
My family loves homemade buffalo wings, and I make them often. But the first time I made this recipe, all I had in the fridge were chicken drumsticks. So I decided to use them. We all loved it so much, that I now make this recipe regularly.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- For the chicken:
- Chicken drumsticks: I like to leave the skin on, but you can remove it if you wish.
- Olive oil spray.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: Reduce the amount of salt you use if using fine salt.
- Garlic powder: Make sure it’s fresh.
- For the buffalo sauce:
- Melted unsalted butter.
- Hot pepper sauce.
- Garlic powder.
How to make buffalo chicken
It’s easy! Scroll down for the recipe card for the detailed instructions. These are the basic steps:
- First, you bake chicken drumsticks in a hot oven until crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- When the chicken pieces are fully baked, you coat them with a flavorful, spicy buffalo sauce. That’s it! Easy!
What’s in buffalo sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a simple sauce made from melted butter and hot pepper sauce. I also like to add garlic powder. Sometimes I add smoked paprika as well.
It’s a good idea to make the sauce in advance, while the chicken is cooking. This allows the sauce to slightly thicken, and then it coats the chicken pieces well. If the sauce is hot, it is thinner, and then it tends to just slide off the chicken pieces.
How to serve buffalo chicken?
Serve it as you would buffalo wings, with celery sticks and a dipping sauce – either ranch or blue cheese. I usually serve 2 drumsticks per person for dinner, with celery and homemade ranch. There’s no need for other sides, although you can add additional raw veggies for dipping.
Is it healthy?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. To avoid overcooked leftovers, reheat them covered in the microwave, on 50% power. They’re also good cold!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 10 medium bone-in skin-on chicken drumsticks (about 3 lb. raw weight)
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the chicken drumsticks on the prepared pan. Spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Bake the chicken drumsticks until golden brown and cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, hot pepper sauce and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Set aside until chicken is done.
- Toss the cooked chicken in the buffalo sauce until well coated. Serve the buffalo chicken immediately.