Who needs pasta? This rich and flavorful spaghetti squash with meat sauce tastes as if you’ve been slaving on it for hours, but it’s ready in less than an hour.
This rich, flavorful spaghetti squash with meat sauce tastes as if you’ve been slaving on it for hours, but it’s very easy to make and ready in less than an hour.
Since I use store bought marinara sauce in this recipe, I make sure to use a high-quality sauce – it will obviously have a big impact on the final result. My favorite prepared spaghetti sauce is Rao’s – its list of ingredients is very clean and it contains no added sugar. I especially like the spicy arrabiata sauce.
To speed things up, I cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave. It’s easy and fast, and just as good as baking it.
To keep this spaghetti squash with meat sauce recipe paleo, simply omit the Parmesan.
If you like spaghetti squash, check out this wonderful spaghetti squash casserole.
Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
- 1 small spaghetti squash (2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (4 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Prepare the spaghetti squash: Pierce the spaghetti squash in a few spots with a sharp knife. Microwave 5 minutes; turn to the other side and microwave 5 more minutes, until soft to the touch. Let stand for 5 minutes to finish cooking. Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Allow to cool 5 minutes, until easier to handle. Scoop out the pulp and seeds from the center, then rake a fork back and forth to remove strands of the flesh onto a serving bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, onions, salt and pepper. Sauté, breaking up the beef as you cook, until beef is no longer raw, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Ladle the meat sauce over the spaghetti squash, top with parsley and Parmesan, and serve.