Who needs pasta? This rich and flavorful spaghetti squash with meat sauce tastes as if you’ve been slaving on it for hours, but it’s ready in less than an hour.
This rich, flavorful spaghetti squash with meat sauce tastes as if you’ve been slaving on it for hours. But it’s very easy to make and is ready in less than an hour.
The ingredients you’ll need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Small spaghetti squash
- Avocado oil
- Lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Marinara sauce
- Grated Parmesan
How to make spaghetti squash with meat sauce
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave and rake a fork back and forth to create the spaghetti squash strands.
- Cook the beef and onion with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with parsley and parmesan and serve.
Tips for making this recipe a success
- Since I use a store-bought marinara sauce in this recipe, I make sure to use a high-quality sauce – it will obviously have a big impact on the final result. My favorite is Rao’s. Its list of ingredients is very clean and it contains no added sugar. I especially like the spicy arrabbiata sauce.
- To speed things up, I cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave. It’s easy and fast, and just as good as baking it. Ever since I discovered that microwave spaghetti squash is so good, it’s the only way I ever make it.
- If you’d like to keep this spaghetti squash with meat sauce recipe paleo, simply omit the Parmesan. The remaining ingredients are all paleo-approved, and the dish is excellent with or without the cheese.
How to store leftovers?
Keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, covered, on 50% power. You can also reheat them, uncovered, in a 300°F oven.
More tasty spaghetti squash recipes
This wonderful spaghetti squash casserole is delicious, cheesy, and very easy to make.
And spaghetti squash pizza boats are a great way to enjoy yummy pizza flavors in a much healthier way than eating pizza!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
- 1 small spaghetti squash (2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (4 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Prepare the spaghetti squash: Pierce the spaghetti squash in a few spots with a sharp knife. Microwave 5 minutes; turn to the other side and microwave 5 more minutes, until soft to the touch. Let stand for 5 minutes to finish cooking. Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Allow to cool 5 minutes, until easier to handle. Scoop out the pulp and seeds from the center, then rake a fork back and forth to remove strands of the flesh onto a serving bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, onions, salt and pepper. Sauté, breaking up the beef as you cook, until beef is no longer raw, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Ladle the meat sauce over the spaghetti squash, top with parsley and Parmesan, and serve.