An easy recipe for a quick, filling and tasty almond flour bread. This almond flour bread is keto and paleo, and works great with both savory and sweet toppings.
An easy recipe for a keto, low carb almond flour bread. This almond flour bread comes together quickly, and smells so good when it bakes. It has a pleasantly neutral taste, making it the perfect canvas for sweet or savory toppings. This almond flour bread is also very filling!
When making this paleo almond flour bread, it is important however to adjust our expectations. The yeasty aroma and gluten-induced fluffiness that we love about traditional bread cannot be achieved without yeast and gluten, so this is more of a quick bread that fills the need (if you still have it) to make a sandwich or to have a slice of bread for breakfast.
For this purpose, this keto almond flour bread works very well, and since it’s low in carbs and relatively high in fat, it will fill you up better and will spare you the blood sugar roller coaster normally associated with wheat flour bread.
This almond flour bread freezes well. I slice it, and wrap each slice individually in plastic wrap, then put all the slices in a ziploc bag. When ready to eat, briefly heat in the microwave, or toast in your toaster oven.
I use refined coconut oil in this almond flour bread to keep the flavor neutral and non-coconutty. Feel free to use virgin coconut oil if you don’t mind the flavor, and especially if you plan to use this keto bread with sweet toppings or with unsalted butter.
Although I haven’t tried it, extra virgin olive oil should give this bread an interesting flavor. I’m pretty sure that melted unsalted butter would work too.
Like most keto breads (90 second bread is a good example), this almond flour bread improves dramatically when toasted and buttered, so it’s a good idea to go through this extra step.
Gluten Free Bread
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for pan
- 5 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons refined coconut oil, gently melted in microwave (2.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour (7 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan (a 9-inch pan will be too big).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the coconut oil, vinegar, salt, almond flour and finally the baking soda.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is golden-brown and set, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack before gently releasing the bread from the pan (carefully run a knife along edges if needed). Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes more, before slicing and serving.
- Keep leftovers in a ziploc bag in the fridge for a few days, or freeze.