Microwaving spaghetti squash is the fastest and easiest way of preparing this vegetable. I almost never bother with baking it!
Microwaving spaghetti squash is my preferred method of cooking this vegetable. It’s easy enough to bake spaghetti squash in the oven. It’s ridiculously easy to cook it in the microwave.
Making microwave spaghetti squash is so easy, and the results are quite comparable to baking. So more often than not, when cooking this vegetable, I choose the microwave. And I cook it often, mostly to replace pasta and other starchy foods.
How long do you microwave whole spaghetti squash?
Microwave spaghetti squash is very easy to make. Pierce with a fork, microwave for 5-6 minutes on each side, and it’s done! As long as you pierce it with a fork, it shouldn’t explode in the microwave. 😳
This cooking time is ideal for a small, 2 lb. spaghetti squash. If your spaghetti squash is larger, you’ll probably need to microwave it a bit longer. Your goal is soft spaghetti squash that can be easily pierced with a fork. Try 6 minutes per side for larger squashes.
If you decide that your spaghetti squash is ready, but upon slicing it you realize it’s still too hard, simply scoop out the pulp and seeds. Place each half in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add a little water, cover, and microwave until fork-tender. This will probably take 2-3 more minutes.
What to do if you microwaved the spaghetti squash for too long and it’s mushy? Place the spaghetti squash halves, cut side down, on a clean towel. This will help absorb some of the liquid. Take comfort in the fact that it will still taste great!
Is it better to bake spaghetti squash or to microwave it?
In general, microwave strands do tend to be a bit mushier than baked strands. It’s up to you if the slight mushiness is worth the easier preparation. I think it is.
But is it OK to use the microwave? Isn’t it an unhealthy way of cooking?
I don’t believe so. In fact, microwave cooking seems to be a good way to preserve nutrients in food.
What to do with cooked microwave spaghetti squash?
Lots of things! It can be as simple as adding some melted butter (or good olive oil), salt and garlic powder. Or you can use it as the basis to many tasty recipes. A few of my favorites are Spaghetti squash with meat sauce, Spaghetti squash marinara, Spaghetti squash fritters and Spaghetti squash casserole.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 1 small spaghetti squash (2 lb.)
- Pierce the spaghetti squash in a few spots with a sharp knife.
- Microwave 5 minutes; turn to the other side and microwave 5 more minutes, until soft to the touch. For a larger squash, try 6 minutes per side. Let stand for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Allow to cool 2-3 minutes, just until easier to handle. Scoop out the pulp and seeds from the center, then rake a fork back and forth to remove strands of the flesh onto a serving bowl.
- Toss with butter, salt and pepper or with your favorite sauce and serve.