Bell pepper eggs are delicious, keto, and so easy to make. It’s a lovely way to serve eggs for breakfast or brunch. Kids adore them, and so do the grownups!
I saw the idea for this lovely keto breakfast on Pinterest (where else?) and just had to try it. I have this list on my computer of food ideas that I’d like to try, and these were on my list for a while now.
Last weekend I finally had a chance to make this recipe, and today I made it again because I like to make recipes more than once before putting them on this blog. My entire family agrees that this should definitely be part of our breakfast rotation!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make bell pepper eggs. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Olive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead. Another option is to use butter.
Bell pepper rings: I use three rings, and I slice them 1/3-inch thick.
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes. However, in this recipe, medium eggs sometimes work better. See the discussion below.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
How to make bell pepper eggs
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. This is the simplest recipe! Here are the basic steps:
1. You fry eggs as usual. But instead of just breaking them into the frying pan, you break them into bell pepper molds!
2. Now simply fry until the egg whites are set. That’s it!
This method makes for a pretty presentation. It’s also very tasty since the peppers become soft and slightly caramelized.
Tips for making this recipe a success
This is an easy straightforward recipe, so I only have a couple of tip for you:
1. Resist the temptation to fry the eggs over high heat. Eggs should always be cooked over medium or medium-low heat (soft scrambled eggs are a good example).
2. If your eggs are very large, baking them in the oven rather than frying might prove more efficient in terms of getting the whites to set. Simply brush a baking dish with the olive oil. Next, place the bell pepper rings in the dish. Now crack the eggs into the rings. Bake 10-12 minutes in a 400-degree F oven. Another option is to pour out a little of the egg whites before you add the eggs to the pepper molds.
How to serve bell pepper eggs
While I don’t have time to make them for breakfast on weekdays, I think it’s the perfect dish for a weekend brunch! Sometimes I make them for a light dinner, serving them with almond flour cheese biscuits.
More breakfast egg recipes you might like
Baked avocado eggs are amazing. Baked avocado is so creamy! And for the easiest recipe ever, try microwave scrambled eggs. Paired with microwave bacon and berries, they make a quick, easy, and filling breakfast.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Bell Pepper Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell pepper rings, 1/3-inch thick
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper rings. Cook 1 minute on each side.
- Crack an egg into each bell pepper ring. Lower heat to medium-low. Cook until whites are set, 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve.