This keto meatza recipe is ideal for those on a low carb diet. With a delicious meaty crust and lots of cheesy goodness, you won’t miss the carbs!
When I first learned about the concept of meat-crust pizza I was quite suspicious. But I decided to give it a try, and I’m glad I did!
This meatza recipe is now one of my family’s favorite keto pizzas. It’s well-seasoned and very flavorful, and even the leftovers taste great – reheated or cold. 🍕
A crust made from ground beef
But if you want an even lower carb count, or less fiber (some don’t do well on lots of fiber), meat-crust pizza is a tasty option.
It’s great for getting all those yummy pizza flavors without overdoing it on carbs. You won’t miss the carbs when you bite into a slice of flavorful meatza!
A nice variation on the classic recipe is to make mini meat-crust pizzas, topping cooked 4 oz beef patties with cheese and pizza toppings and briefly broiling them:
But today I felt like making a “real” pizza and cutting it into slices. If you flatten the meat well and bake it long enough, you can eat this meaty keto pizza with your hands, if you’re so inclined. Just like real pizza!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty keto pizza. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Ground beef: I use lean ground beef, 85/15.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
Spices: Garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Marinara sauce: Try to use a sugar-free brand such as Rao’s.
Shredded mozzarella cheese: I use pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella. You can also use one of the blends marked as “Italian blend.”
Toppings of your choice: I often use pepperoni and black olives. You can use vegetables such as bell peppers and mushrooms if you’re not a fan of processed meat.
How to make meatza
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
Shape the pizza. Flatten the ground beef into a thin circle on a rimmed broiler-safe baking sheet and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and spices.
Bake it. Bake the meat for 15 minutes at 400°F.
Add toppings. Top the meat crust with cheese and your desired toppings.
Broil. Broil the meat pizza briefly, just to melt the cheese. Let it cool slightly before cutting into triangles.
Is it tasty?
Yes! It’s is delicious. Admittedly it’s a very different experience than biting into warm doughy “real” pizza.
But biting into well-seasoned, crispy meat topped with bubbly, melted cheese is wonderful too. It’s just a different kind of wonderful.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, on 50% power.
Another easy “pizza” recipe that you might enjoy
When I’m being super lazy, even too lazy to make meatza, I make pizza chicken. Basically baked chicken breasts, topped with pizza toppings and baked until the cheese melts. It’s super easy and very good!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, 85/15
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup marinara sauce (I use Rao's arrabbiata)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (4oz)
- Your choice of toppings (not included in nutrition info)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large broiler-safe rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil.
- On the prepared baking sheet, flatten the ground beef into a very thin, large circle – make it as thin as you can (1/8-inch thick is good).
- Sprinkle the ground beef with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake until fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the oven and switch the oven to broil.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the meat. Top with your choice of toppings – I used pepperoni and black olives. Broil just until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Allow the meatza to rest 10 minutes before cutting into 8 triangles and serving.