This tasty keto grilled cheese sandwich is made with 90-second coconut flour bread, then grilled in butter until perfectly golden and cheesy.
When my husband and I embarked on a low-carb diet, I started looking for ways to recreate our favorite foods while keeping them keto and low-carb. It's not always easy to do, but I keep trying until I reach perfection (or at least keto perfection).
This keto grilled cheese sandwich is one of my big successes. It's so good! It is perfectly crispy and golden, and wonderfully cheesy. It smells amazing as you cook it in butter.
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sandwich. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Unsalted butter: I love using creamy European butter, but any butter will be great.
Milk or cream: I usually opt for whole milk.
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Salt: I use sea salt. If using coarse kosher salt, you can use a little more of it.
Coconut flour: An excellent flour substitute. It's highly absorbent, so try to measure it by weight and not by volume. Every extra gram makes a difference.
Baking powder: Make sure it's fresh before using it.
Sharp cheddar: You can use other melty cheeses such as provolone. But I love cheddar.
How to make keto grilled cheese
I make this sandwich using coconut flour 90-second bread. The detailed instructions are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
You start by making two slices of bread. I like to use a glass 6-inch square-shaped sandwich container (product link included in the recipe card below) because it's fun to make a keto sandwich that looks like the real thing.
Once you have two thick slices of coconut keto bread, place the cheese between the slices.
Then cook the sandwich slowly and patiently in butter, over medium-low heat, until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
Isn't this sandwich very high in calories?
I realize that this keto grilled cheese sandwich is very high in calories. But this is a BIG sandwich. HUGE. And very satiating.
You'll note that each sandwich makes two servings, and each of these servings is big and filling. So if you make this for one, save half for later. This sandwich keeps well in the fridge and you can reheat it in the microwave.
I don't know if you worry at all about calories on a keto diet. But in case you do, I typically have half of this sandwich for lunch, with a side of a simple green salad, which makes for a 600-calorie lunch.
Another option is to make just one slice of 90-second bread, carefully slice it into two thin slices, and use that to make a smaller keto grilled cheese sandwich.
And yet another option is to use the original 90-second bread recipe, which is smaller so it's lower in calories, and use just one slice of cheese. This sandwich has 420 calories, 5g carbs, and 2g fiber. This is what it looks like:
How to season the sandwich
Since you're making the bread for this sandwich from scratch, you can get creative and add spices. I usually just use a pinch of salt, but sometimes I add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne. It makes for a more interesting sandwich.
How to serve keto grilled cheese sandwich
As mentioned above, I like to serve it with a simple green salad such as this arugula salad. It's great with fresh-cut veggies on the side, And it's obviously perfect with tomato soup, although that's obviously higher in carbs.
Can I keep leftovers?
Yes! As mentioned above, you can keep them in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheat them in the microwave. Place them on paper towels to absorb any extra moisture.
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Grilled Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- 2 large eggs, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour (28 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, divided (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 oz sharp cheddar
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a square glass container (I use a small meal prep/food storage container similar to this one). Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons milk, 1 egg and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Add 2 tablespoons coconut flour and ½ teaspoon baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave the batter for 90 seconds. Allow to rest for a minute, then carefully run a knife around the edges and release the bread from the container. If the bottom sticks, carefully run a small spatula underneath. Place the bread on a wire rack and allow to cool while you make another slice.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second slice of keto bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Assemble the sandwich: place 2 cheese slices between the keto bread slices you just made.
- When the butter foams, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes per side over medium-low heat. Press on the sandwich with a large spatula, or better yet, place a heavy pot on it, as shown in the video.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board. Cut into two triangles and serve.