This tasty keto grilled cheese sandwich is made with a quick 90-second coconut flour bread.
Once you have the bread slices, you add the cheese and cook the sandwich in butter into golden, cheesy perfection.
When my husband and I embarked on a low-carb diet, I started looking for ways to recreate our favorite foods. It's not always easy to do, but I keep trying until I reach perfection (or at least keto perfection).
This keto grilled cheese is one of my successes. It's so good! It's perfectly crispy and golden, and wonderfully cheesy. It smells amazing as you cook it in butter.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sandwich. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Unsalted butter: I love using creamy European butter, but any butter will be great.
Milk or cream: I usually opt for whole milk.
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Salt: I use sea salt.
Coconut flour: It's highly absorbent, so try to measure it by weight and not by volume. Every extra gram makes a difference.
Baking powder: Make sure it's fresh before using it. And if you need it to be gluten-free, ensure that it is.
Sharp cheddar: You can use other melty cheeses such as provolone. But I love cheddar.
I make this keto grilled cheese sandwich using 90-second keto bread. The detailed instructions for making this recipe are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of the steps:
You start by making two slices of bread. I like to use a glass 6-inch square-shaped sandwich container.
Once you have two thick slices of bread, place the cheese between the slices.
Then cook the sandwich slowly and patiently in butter, over medium-low heat, until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
Allow the bread a minute to rest, then cut it into two triangles and serve.
Don't be tempted to cook the sandwich over high heat (or even medium heat). For the best, most even results, use medium-low heat and some patience! The perfectly golden result will be worth it.
Frequently asked questions
Not in this recipe. Almond flour and coconut flour are very different and are not interchangeable. If you prefer to use almond flour, try this keto English muffin or use slices of this almond flour bread.
Sure. You could use olive oil, ghee, or refined coconut oil. Avocado oil works too, as does strained bacon grease.
But I feel that butter produces the best, tastiest results. It also browns the bread better than other types of fat.
You want a melty cheese that won't become stringy when griled. Good options include cheddar, provolone, gouda, and gruyere.
Since you're making the bread for this sandwich from scratch, you can get creative and add spices. I usually just use a pinch of salt, but sometimes I add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne. It makes for a more interesting sandwich.
Another way to vary this recipe is to use different cheeses. Sharp cheddar is great, but you can use other melty cheeses such as gouda (or smoked gouda) and provolone.
And finally, you can add a slice of deli ham to the sandwich and make a low-carb version of Croque Monsieur - a French ham and cheese sandwich.
I like to serve this sandwich with a simple green salad such as this arugula salad. It's also great with fresh-cut veggies on the side, and it's obviously perfect with tomato soup, although that's obviously higher in carbs.
Each sandwich makes two servings, and each of these servings is big and filling. So if you make this recipe just for yourself, save half for later.
This sandwich keeps well in the fridge, in an airtight container on paper towels (to absorb extra moisture), for 3-4 days, and you can reheat it in the microwave or in a toaster oven.
👩🏻🍳 I typically publish a new or an updated recipe once a week. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Keto Grilled Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 tablespoons whole milk divided
- 2 large eggs divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt divided
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour (28 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder divided (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 oz sharp cheddar
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a square glass sandwich-size container.* Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 egg, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut flour and ½ teaspoon of baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave the batter for 90 seconds. Allow it to rest for a minute, then carefully run a knife around the edges and release the bread from the container. If the bottom sticks, carefully run a small spatula underneath. Place the bread on a wire rack and allow it to cool while you make another slice.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second slice of bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Assemble the sandwich: place 2 cheese slices between the bread slices you've just made.
- When the butter foams, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes per side over medium-low heat. Press on the sandwich with a large spatula, or better yet, place a heavy pot on it to flatten, as shown in the video.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board. Cut it into two triangles and serve.