This tasty keto grilled cheese sandwich is made with a quick 90-second coconut flour bread.
Once you have the bread slices, add the cheese and cook the sandwich in butter to golden, cheesy perfection.
When my husband and I embarked on a low-carb diet, I started looking for ways to recreate our favorite foods. It's not always easy, but I keep trying until I reach perfection (or at least keto perfection).
This keto grilled cheese is one of my successes. It's so good! It's crispy, golden, and wonderfully cheesy. It smells fantastic as you cook it in butter.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sandwich. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Unsalted butter: I love using creamy European butter, but any butter will work.
- Milk or cream: I usually opt for whole milk.
- Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
- Salt: I use sea salt.
- Coconut flour: It's highly absorbent, so try to measure it by weight and not by volume. Each extra gram makes a difference.
- Baking powder: Gluten-free if needed. Make sure it's fresh before using it.
- Cheddar: You can use other melty cheeses such as provolone. But I love cheddar. Sometimes I use smoked cheddar, as shown in the photo below.
- Since you're making the bread for this sandwich from scratch, you can get creative and add spices. I usually just use a pinch of salt, but sometimes I add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne. It makes for a more interesting sandwich.
- Another way to vary this recipe is to use different cheeses. Sharp cheddar is excellent, but you can use other melty cheeses such as gouda (or smoked gouda) and provolone.
- You can add a slice of deli ham to the sandwich and make a low-carb version of Croque Monsieur - a French ham and cheese sandwich.
- Add 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions. You can place them on top of the cheese before grilling the sandwich. I love the flavor they add!
Keto Grilled Cheese Instructions
I make this sandwich using 90-second keto bread. The detailed instructions for making this recipe are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of the steps:
You start by making two slices of bread. I like to use a glass 6-inch square-shaped sandwich container.
Once you have two thick slices of bread, place the cheese between the slices.
Then cook the sandwich slowly and patiently in butter, over medium-low heat, until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
Allow the bread a minute to rest, then cut it into two triangles and serve.
Don't be tempted to cook the sandwich over high heat (or even medium heat). For the best, most even results, use medium-low heat and some patience! The perfectly golden result will be worth it.
Sure. You could use olive oil, ghee, or refined coconut oil. Avocado oil works too, as does strained bacon grease.
But I feel that butter produces the best, tastiest results. It also browns the bread better than other types of fat.
You want a melty cheese that won't become stringy when grilled. Good options include cheddar, provolone, gouda, and gruyere.
It's also excellent with fresh-cut veggies and ranch dressing on the side, and it's obviously perfect with tomato soup, although that's higher in carbs. Lower-carb soup options include cauliflower soup and broccoli soup.
Each sandwich makes two servings, and each of these servings is big and filling. So if you make this recipe just for yourself, save half for later.
This sandwich keeps well in the fridge, in an airtight container on paper towels (to absorb extra moisture), for 3-4 days, and you can reheat it in the microwave or in a toaster oven.
More Keto Bread Recipes
👩🏻🍳 I publish a new or updated recipe every month. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Keto Grilled Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 tablespoons whole milk divided
- 2 large eggs divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt divided
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour (28 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder divided (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 oz sharp cheddar
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a square glass sandwich-size container.* Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 egg, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut flour and ½ teaspoon of baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave the batter for 90 seconds. Allow it to rest for a minute, then carefully run a knife around the edges and release the bread from the container. If the bottom sticks, carefully run a small spatula underneath. Place the bread on a wire rack and allow it to cool while you make another slice.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second slice of bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Assemble the sandwich: place 2 cheese slices between the bread slices you've just made.
- When the butter foams, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes per side over medium-low heat. Press on the sandwich with a large spatula, or better yet, place a heavy pot on top to flatten it, as shown in the video.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board. Cut it into two triangles and serve.