An easy recipe for a healthy and tasty keto grilled cheese sandwich, made with 90-second coconut flour bread, then grilled in butter until perfectly golden and cheesy.
This keto grilled cheese sandwich is amazing. It is perfectly crispy and golden, and wonderfully cheesy. It smells amazing as you cook it in butter.
What bread to use for making keto grilled cheese?
I make this keto grilled cheese sandwich using coconut flour 90-second bread. It’s an easy recipe – start by making two slices of bread. I like to use a glass 6-inch square-shaped sandwich container, because it’s fun to make keto grilled cheese that looks like the real thing.
How to make keto grilled cheese sandwich
Once you have two thick slices of coconut keto bread, sandwich the cheese between the slices, and then cook the sandwich slowly and patiently in butter, over medium-low heat, until the bread is golden and the cheese melted.
Isn’t this sandwich super high in calories?
I realize that this keto grilled cheese sandwich is very high in calories. But this is a BIG sandwich. HUGE. And very very satiating. You’ll note that each sandwich makes two servings, and each of these servings is big and filling. So if you make this for one, save half for later. This keto grilled cheese sandwich keeps well in the fridge and you can reheat it in the microwave.
I don’t know if you worry at all about calories on a keto diet. But in case you do, I typically have half of this sandwich for lunch, with a side of green salad, which makes for a 600-calorie lunch. Very reasonable, at least for me (I typically eat around 2200 daily calories). It’s up to you to decide if you can fit this into your own diet.
But whole milk isn’t keto!
This seems to be open to debate. Personally, I would never advise anyone to freely drink glasses of milk on a keto diet. But my philosophy is that if the final product can fit into a keto diet in terms of macros, then using a small amount of whole milk to make it is just fine. But hey, keto purists can certainly avoid the milk in this recipe and use heavy cream instead. 😀
How to season keto grilled cheese sandwich
Since you’re making the bread for this sandwich from scratch, you can get creative and add spices. I usually just use a pinch of salt, but sometimes I add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne. It makes for a more interesting sandwich.
Keto Grilled Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour (28 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 2 oz sharp cheddar
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a 6-inch glass square sandwich container. Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons milk, 1 egg and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add 2 tablespoons coconut flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave the batter for 90 seconds. Allow to rest for a minute, then carefully run a knife around the edges and release the bread from the container. If the bottom sticks, carefully run a small spatula underneath. Place the bread on a wire rack and allow to cool while you make another slice.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second slice of keto bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Assemble the sandwich: place 2 cheese slices between the keto bread slices you just made.
- When butter foams, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes per side over medium-low heat. Press on the sandwich with a large spatula, or better yet, place a heavy pot on it, as shown in the video.
- Transfer the keto grilled cheese sandwich to a cutting board. Cut into two triangles and serve.