An easy recipe for a creamy keto cauliflower soup, wonderfully flavored with garlic, nutmeg, and Parmesan.
I was never a big fan of soups until I met my husband. He loves soups, and he’s the one who got me hooked on them. He used to make this amazing onion soup in the winter that I really loved and was a complete meal. In the summer, he made gazpacho and tzatziki.
Now that I’m in charge of cooking, I taught myself to make many of his tasty soup recipes. And I also learned to really enjoy soups!
A great use for cauliflower
This tasty and nutritious soup is a great way to enjoy one of the most versatile keto vegetables. It’s wonderfully flavorful, easy to make, and you can enjoy it freely on the keto diet.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty cauliflower soup (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
Butter: I love using creamy European butter. But any butter will be great.
Onion and garlic: I make life easy by chopping the onion in the food processor and using jarred minced garlic.
Cauliflower: You will need one large head for this recipe.
Chicken broth: Store-bought is fine. But when I have some leftover homemade chicken soup, I use that.
Spices: White pepper and ground nutmeg. It’s OK to use black pepper, but be aware that the black speckles will show on the white soup.
Heavy cream: I tried using half-and-half once and determined that heavy cream is the way to go.
Grated Parmesan: Make sure you use finely grated parmesan, not coarsely shredded.
How to make keto cauliflower soup
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. It’s a very easy recipe to make! Here are the basic steps:
1. Saute onions, garlic, and cauliflower in butter. You want the onions to be soft, but you don’t want them browned and caramelized for this recipe.
2. Now add chicken broth, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender. This only takes 15 minutes or so.
3. The last step is to puree the soup and stir in heavy cream, spices, and Parmesan. You can either puree it in batches in the food processor, or use an immersion blender and puree it right in the pot.
How to serve keto cauliflower soup
I often have a bowl of it for my lunch, especially in the winter. I sometimes have it with buttered 90-second bread on the side, and sometimes I enjoy it on its own. (By the way, another soup that I really enjoy for lunch is this very flavorful butternut squash soup).
You can also serve it as a dinner appetizer. In which case, serve a cup per person instead of a bowl.
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Creamy Keto Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 lbs. with refuse, 1.5 lbs. without)
- 1 quart chicken broth (I use the Pacific Natural brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until onions are soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic and the cauliflower. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes, until cauliflower is very tender.
- Purée the soup in batches in your food processor until very smooth (I pureed mine in 5 batches). Return to the pot. Stir in the pepper, nutmeg and cream. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Turn the heat off, add the Parmesan and stir until smooth. Serve immediately.