Gluten free and keto cream of broccoli soup is made with heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and without flour. It is wonderfully creamy and flavorful!
Creamy, delicate and incredibly flavorful, cream of broccoli soup turns the healthy yet humble broccoli into a delicacy.
With 7g carbs and 3g fiber in each serving, this cream of broccoli soup is keto and low carb. I add just 1/4 cup of heavy cream. I find it’s just the amount needed to make this soup wonderfully creamy without detracting from the broccoli flavor and making it too milky. You can add more if you wish.
This soup makes a wonderful first course. But you can also turn this cream of broccoli soup into an entree. Serve it to two, with these tasty keto cheese muffins.
Many years ago, I used to frequent a local coffee shop with a close friend. We had a standing order there. The waitstaff knew us and would ask if we wanted “the usual.” We always ordered a bowl of cream of broccoli soup, with bread and butter.
I have since moved far away and only “see” my dear friend on Facebook, and I no longer eat bread. But this homemade keto cream of broccoli soup with the cheese muffins always make me think of her and of our lovely lunches.
I’m not sure why some recipes tell you to add flour to cream of broccoli soup. Any pureed soup is inherently thick (this butternut squash soup is a good example although higher in carbs). And when you add heavy cream and Parmesan, there’s absolutely no need for starches in this soup.
If you happen to have leftovers, they keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, covered.
Another creamy low carb soup that I highly recommend is this cream of mushroom soup. It’s wonderful!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine table salt)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, add the chicken stock, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme. Whisk to combine.
- Add the broccoli. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until broccoli is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off. In batches in a blender or in a food processor, or using an immersion blender, blend the soup until very creamy.
- Return the cream of broccoli soup to the saucepan. Turn the heat up to medium. Stir in the heavy cream and the Parmesan. Cook just until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.