These amazingly doughy and fragrant keto bagels are ready in just 30 minutes, and they will blow your mind!
Once you bite into the warm dough, it's very difficult to believe that these bagels are made with almond flour.
These keto bagels are another example. They are AMAZING. Made with Fathead Dough (a keto dough based on almond flour, cream cheese, and eggs), they are soft and doughy, and they taste so good.
How wonderful, that even on a low-carb diet, I don't have to give up my beloved weekend morning ritual of a toasted bagel, a thick layer of cream cheese, and a potent cup of coffee.
You'll only need six ingredients to make this recipe. Here's an overview of what you'll need. The exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Shredded mozzarella: I use bagged pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella.
- Cream cheese: Use full-fat cream cheese, not reduced-fat.
- Almond flour: Blanched, finely ground almond flour works best. I don't recommend using a coarse almond meal in this recipe.
- Baking powder: It's important to make sure it's fresh.
- Egg: One large egg is all you need.
- Sesame seeds: Optional, but I think they make the bagels look amazing! You can also use a bagel seasoning.
- Season the bagels - similar to what I do when making keto pretzels. I like to add a bit of garlic powder and onion powder, for example - ¼ teaspoon of each. I mix them into the almond flour before adding it to the mixture.
- Vary your toppings. Instead of sesame seeds, you can use poppy seeds, coarse salt, or bagel seasoning (my husband's favorite topping).
- You can make a sweet version by adding ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a granulated sweetener to equal ¼ cup sugar. Mix them into the almond flour before adding it to the mixture. Personally, although I like the sweet version, I prefer the savory one.
Keto Bagels Instructions
The detailed instructions for making this recipe are listed in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
You start by microwaving shredded mozzarella and cream cheese until melted. Then stir them. (Photo 1).
Now, add almond flour, baking powder, and egg and quickly mix everything together to form a dough. (Photo 2).
Briefly knead the dough, then divide it into six equal parts. (Photos 3-5).
Roll each part into a log, then shape it into a bagel. (Photos 6-7).
Dip the bagels in sesame seeds, then bake them for about 15 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven. (Photos 8-10).
You'll want to work quickly, kneading the dough well before it cools and making sure it's completely uniform.
However, if the dough has cooled and hardened and is impossible to knead, do not despair! Simply microwave it for a few seconds (start with 10 seconds) until it's pliable again.
Fathead dough is a low-carb dough. Its main ingredients are shredded mozzarella, cream cheese, eggs, and almond flour. When baked, it becomes puffy, chewy, and fragrant. It's remarkably similar to real dough.
Not exactly. They are incredibly good, but they are different than regular bagels. Without gluten and yeast, it's obviously not the same. But they do scratch that itch and give you the experience of enjoying bagels.
No. Coconut flour is extremely absorbent. It requires significant amounts of liquids and extra eggs. If you try to substitute it for the almond flour in this recipe, your bagels will be very dry.
Naturally, like all bagels, these practically beg for a thick layer of cream cheese (or cream cheese dip) and perhaps some lox on top!
My dad makes these bagels regularly. He reports that they're excellent with feta cheese. Here are Dad's bagels:
These bagels are best enjoyed warm and fresh. If you have any leftovers, freeze them right away, as soon as they are cool. Thaw them gently in the microwave.
It's best to freeze them because they don't keep well in the fridge. They tend to deflate when stored and lose their fluffiness.
More Keto Bread Recipes
👩🏻🍳 I publish a new or updated recipe every month. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Keto Bagels Recipe
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella shredded, part-skim (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1 ½ cups almond flour blanched, finely ground (6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup sesame seeds or any other topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the mozzarella in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Top it with the cream cheese cubes. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Stir again, and add the almond flour and baking powder. Stir to incorporate as best as you can - the dough won't come together yet at this point.
- Add the egg, mixing it in with a rubber spatula and then with your hands. Work quickly, kneading the dough well before it cools and making sure it's completely uniform.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. I use my kitchen scales to make sure the bagels are all the same size.
- Knead each part briefly, then roll into a 7-inch log, starting in the middle and rolling outwards, as shown in the video. Press the ends together to shape into a bagel.
- Dip the tops of the bagels in the sesame seeds.
- Arrange the bagels on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and fragrant, 15-17 minutes.