Tasty and healthy keto French toast is made with a quick coconut flour bread. It’s an easy recipe, and it tastes wonderful – very close to the real thing!
I served this keto French toast to my teen kids today, and they LOVED it. They do not eat keto or low carb, although their diet is lower in carbs than most American teen diets.
I was excited that someone who still eats the real thing, wheat gluten and all, would find this toast so tasty. My husband and I love it, but we haven’t had the real thing in years, so our palates have changed.
I’ve been making this keto French toast often, especially on weekends. It’s such a wonderful treat. And although it’s certainly not low calorie, it is low carb and high fat.
Use a square glass container to “bake” the bread
I use a square 6-inch glass sandwich container to make the keto bread. Although I had plastic sandwich containers in the house, I felt that heating them up in the microwave was not the best idea. So I bought this glass container.
What ingredients do you use in the bread?
The bread itself is a variation on the classic 90-second bread. Basically, I adjusted the amounts to make it bigger, so that it would work with a larger pan. I also added stevia, vanilla, and cinnamon.
After my first experiment with this bread, I also added a little bit of milk, to prevent it from drying out.
Cook the keto French toast patiently over medium-low heat
It’s important to cook this toast over medium-low heat. This will ensure even cooking. You should also gently press on the middle of the bread with a spatula. Otherwise, the coconut bread tends to brown on the edges rather than all over.
Should I add a sweetener to this keto french toast?
If you plan on serving it with syrup, there’s no need to sweeten the bread itself. I usually sweeten it with a touch of stevia, because I don’t use syrup.
By the way, if you don’t mind a gluten free but higher carb recipe, this tortilla french toast recipe is AMAZING. And super easy to make!
Keto French Toast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia glycerite (equivalent of 1 tablespoon sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for frying
Prepare the bread:
- Place the butter in a glass sandwich-size container such as this. Microwave until melted, about 50 seconds.
- Mix in the vanilla, stevia, milk and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the coconut flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Use a small rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly in the container.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 90 seconds.
- Remove from the container to a cutting board, bottom side up, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Fry the bread:
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk the egg with the milk, and heat 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Dip both sides of the keto bread in the egg mixture. When butter begins to foam, add the soaked bread. Cook over medium-low heat (not higher) until golden-brown, pressing on the middle of the bread with a spatula, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Cut into two triangles and serve. The keto French toast is excellent as is, but you can drizzle it with sugar free syrup and dust with Swerve Confectioners if you wish.