This 90 second bread is keto, low carb and gluten free. It has a lovely spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam.
90 second bread is a low carb microwave bread made with coconut flour. It is “baked” in the microwave in 90 seconds, hence its name.
Does 90 second bread taste like real bread?
I wish! 😀 90 second bread is a compromise. It’s not true bread. It’s soft and a little eggy. But if you’re trying to control your carbs, or need to avoid gluten, this microwave bread adds a nice variety to breakfast and lunch.
What is the nutrition info for 90 second bread?
This 90 second bread has about 200 calories and 3 grams net carbs (5 grams carbs minus 2 grams fiber).
How to use this keto microwave bread?
This keto bread has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam. So it’s great for a quick low carb breakfast. It’s also good topped with peanut butter, with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or with mustard and ham.
Toasting the 90 second bread in a buttered skillet improves its flavor and texture, but this is not mandatory. Usually, I don’t bother, especially in the morning when I’m tired or rushed!
My favorite use for this 90 second bread is to make a cheesy and gooey keto grilled cheese sandwich. It’s delicious! It’s also great for making low carb avocado toast and low carb strawberry shortcake.
Aren’t microwaves bad for you?
I don’t believe they are. Here’s a good article that explains why cooking in the microwave is a healthy choice.
Do you have a recipe for almond flour keto bread?
Yes! If you prefer to use almond flour, try this tasty recipe for low carb English muffin, another keto bread that you make in the microwave.
90 Second Bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt*
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder**
- In a small microwave safe bowl (mine measures 3 inches on the bottom and 3.5 inches at the top), melt the butter in the microwave.
- Allow the melted butter to slightly cool, then mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Microwave the mixture on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while "baking," then slightly deflate. When done, it will look like a muffin. Make sure it appears set, otherwise microwave 10-20 more seconds (but 90 seconds should be enough, and overcooking can dry it up).
- Gently, with a paring knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate.
- Slice the 90 second bread crosswise into two slices and top with your favorite toppings.