Tasty egg white frittata is baked in a cast iron skillet into puffy perfection. Topped with smoked salmon and basil, it is delicious and very healthy.
This frittata is so fluffy and delicious. It’s wonderful for brunch, and I love the leftovers for my breakfasts.
How to make egg white frittata
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s an easy recipe! Whisk egg whites with salt and pepper until fluffy. Add Parmesan. Pour into greased cast iron skillets. Top with smoked salmon and basil and cook until the bottom is set, then bake in the oven until puffed.
You can vary the ingredients
I like to use Parmesan, smoked salmon and basil when making this recipe. But you can use other cheeses such as cheddar or goat cheese. And you should definitely experiment with different herbs!
What skillet to use
I bake this tasty frittata in a small cast-iron skillet. It comes out puffed and gorgeous. Cast iron skillet works because it’s oven-proof. So you can use any ovenproof skillet in this recipe.
What to serve with egg white frittata
Is it healthier than regular frittata?
Not necessarily. I generally prefer to use the whole eggs – egg yolks are very healthy. In fact, one of my favorite frittatas is this tasty spinach frittata that uses whole eggs. But sometimes, when a recipe such as this zabaglione recipe leaves me with unused egg whites, I make this egg white frittata.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. They are very tasty when gently reheated in the microwave, or even cold.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Egg White Frittata
- Olive oil spray
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 oz smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two small (6 inch), oven-safe skillets (such as cast iron skillets) with olive oil cooking spray.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the egg whites with salt and pepper until foamy. Add the Parmesan and whisk to incorporate.
- Heat the skillets over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Pour the egg mixture into the skillets. Arrange the salmon pieces and basil strips on top of the eggs. Cook about 3 minutes, until bottom is set, then transfer to the oven to finish cooking, 10-15 more minutes. Frittatas are done when puffy and golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in skillets, then carefully loosen the edges with a spatula, slice and serve.