Pretty, tasty egg white muffins make a gorgeous brunch dish or a quick weekday breakfast. You can make them in advance and refrigerate.
These egg white muffins are delicious and super filling! They’re one of my favorite healthy breakfasts. And they’re so easy to make!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need five simple ingredients to make this tasty breakfast. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Egg whites
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Grated Parmesan
- White pepper
- Chopped green onions
I use white pepper for aesthetic reasons, but if you don’t have white pepper on hand, black pepper is fine.
You can also vary your cheese. Parmesan is just so flavorful, so I like to use it, but I’m sure sharp cheddar would be great too.
If you use a cheese other than Parmesan, add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
How to make egg white muffins
Easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You simply whisk egg whites with Greek yogurt and Parmesan.
- Fold in some chopped scallions.
- Then bake until golden and puffed.
They really puff up in the oven, like a soufflé. Then they slightly deflate as they cool:
Will they stick to cupcake liners?
They might. I bake them in 6-ounce ceramic ramekins, to minimize the risk of sticking.
You can also use well-greased silicone muffin cups, or use paper liners in a regular muffin pan and spray them generously with oil. If you use muffin cups, you’ll probably get four muffins out of this recipe.
How to serve egg white muffins?
They make a gorgeous brunch dish or a quick weekday breakfast.
I also like them as a high-protein, filling snack that I make ahead and keep in the fridge. I simply reheat them in the microwave – or just eat them cold.
I’ve also been known to serve them for a meatless (and lazy) dinner on occasion, with salad as a side.
Are they healthier than regular egg muffins?
How long do they keep?
You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to four days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power. They are also good cold.
Egg White Muffins
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Fage 5%)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, green part only
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick spray and place them on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until light and frothy. Add the yogurt, Parmesan, and pepper and whisk to incorporate. The mixture will be fluffy and smooth. Mix in the green onions with a spatula. Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Bake 25 minutes, until puffed, browned, and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.