An easy recipe for a very tasty tomato asparagus salad, a super fresh and delicious summer side dish.
This tomato asparagus salad is a summer staple at my house. It’s so tasty and fresh! I like to serve it to guests because I can make it in advance. But I also serve it often to my family.
I love asparagus but have always served it warm. I love roasted asparagus and steamed asparagus. The idea of serving asparagus chilled in a salad has never occurred to me. Until I was served a delicious asparagus salad at a dinner party.
I never got around to asking the hostess for the recipe. But I think I got a pretty good idea of what was in there, and this is my humble attempt at recreating the flavors.
How to make tomato asparagus salad
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s really simple. You steam the asparagus in the microwave until tender-crisp. Mix with tomatoes and onions, add the tasty dressing and toss to coat. You can make this salad a couple of hours ahead of time and chill.
What to serve with tomato asparagus salad?
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it’s very healthy! Asparagus has several health benefits. It’s high in folate and in vitamins A, C and K, and it’s a good source of antioxidants. Tomatoes are very healthy too, and research shows that they may improve cardiovascular health.
How long can I keep the leftovers?
While you can make this tomato asparagus salad ahead of time, I wouldn’t try to store the leftovers for longer than a day, two at the most. Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for maximum freshness, and toss the salad again before serving it.
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed, chopped into 1-inch pieces (10oz)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (5 oz)
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced (1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Cover and microwave 5 minutes. Stir and microwave 2 more minutes, until just tender. Drain into a serving bowl and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes and the onion. Place the dressing ingredients in a small jar, seal well and shake until well-blended.
- Add the tomatoes and the onion to the serving bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently mix.
- Serve the tomato asparagus salad immediately, or cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve, but no longer than 2 hours. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving and toss again.