An easy recipe for a very tasty tomato asparagus salad, a super fresh and delicious summer side dish.
This tomato asparagus salad is a summer staple at my house. It’s so tasty and fresh!
The idea of serving asparagus chilled in a salad has never occurred to me. Until I was served a delicious asparagus salad at a dinner party.
I love asparagus, but have always served it warm. I love Parmesan roasted asparagus, for example.
So back to that delicious tomato asparagus salad. I never got around to asking the hostess for the recipe. But I think I got a pretty good idea of what was in there, and this is my humble attempt at recreating the flavors.
This tomato asparagus salad is truly delicious, and it’s the perfect side dish for entertaining, because you can make it in advance.
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed, chopped into 1-inch pieces (10oz)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (5 oz)
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced (1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Cover and microwave 5 minutes. Stir and microwave 2 more minutes, until just tender. Drain into a serving bowl and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes and the onion. Place the dressing ingredients in a small jar, seal well and shake until well-blended.
- Add the tomatoes and the onion to the serving bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently mix.
- Serve the tomato asparagus salad immediately, or cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve, but no longer than 2 hours. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving and toss again.