Crispy broccoli tots turn broccoli into a tasty snack. Made with almond flour, they are keto, cheesy and delicious!
Any parent knows that getting kids to eat their vegetables is a challenge. I don’t blame them! Most vegetables are slightly bitter, and kids seem to really dislike bitter notes in food (probably a good thing, evolutionarily speaking).
That’s why I adore these broccoli tots. They are such a fun, tasty way to eat broccoli! They turn the boring green (yet good-for-you) vegetable into a super tasty snack that even the most reluctant picky eaters will agree to eat.
A good way to convince picky eaters to eat broccoli!
Still, the Picky Eater in our family doesn’t ever eat more than half a cup of it, even when generously buttered. Unless I make these broccoli bites. So I make them often!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty broccoli recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Frozen chopped broccoli: I always use frozen, but I assume fresh would work just fine.
Eggs: I use large eggs in almost all of my recipes, this one included.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the tots could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper. You can probably use fresh minced garlic instead of the garlic powder.
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese: Other melty cheese work too. Provolone is good, for example.
Almond flour: I use blanched finely ground almond flour.
How to make broccoli tots
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. You mix lightly cooked broccoli florets with seasoned eggs, cheddar cheese, and almond flour.
2. Shape the mixture into tots.
3. Then bake until golden, about 15 minutes per side in a 400°F oven.
I make these with almond flour to keep them keto and gluten-free, but you can use breadcrumbs if you prefer.
I especially like that they are oven-baked rather than fried. Baking is so much easier than frying! I avoid frying whenever I possibly can. I find it exhausting.
How to serve keto broccoli tots
When I make them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main course that I can bake in the same 400-degree oven. So I often serve them with keto meatballs, with crispy baked chicken thighs or with baked chicken wings.
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power, or in a 300°F oven. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to three months.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Broccoli Tots
- Olive oil spray
- 1 (16 oz package) frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup almond flour (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment (not foil – they stick to foil) and lightly spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave 5 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, to thaw. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne. Add the cheddar and the almond flour, then add the thawed and drained broccoli. Use a large spoon to mix everything together.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into 24 patties. Arrange the patties on the prepared baking sheets, making sure they don’t touch each other. Lightly spray the tots with olive oil.
- Bake 15 minutes on each side, until browned. Allow the broccoli tots to cool a couple of minutes, then serve.