These broccoli tots turn the simple vegetable into a tasty snack. Made with almond flour and sharp cheddar, they are cheesy and delicious!
The leftovers are really good, so I sometimes double the recipe and enjoy the leftovers for several days.
When it comes to green veggies and picky eaters, broccoli is not the worst offender. When fresh, it's fairly mild-flavored. And when lightly steamed or roasted, it is quite delicious.
Still, the Picky Eater in our family doesn't ever eat more than half a cup of it, even when generously buttered.
That's why I adore these broccoli tots. They are such a fun, tasty way to eat broccoli! They turn the boring green vegetable into a super tasty snack that even the most reluctant picky eaters will agree to eat.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make these deliciously savory bites. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
- Frozen chopped broccoli: I always use frozen, but I assume that fresh would work just fine.
- Eggs: I use large eggs in almost all of my recipes, this one included.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the tots could end up too salty.
- Spices: I use garlic powder, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper. You can probably use fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder.
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese: Other melty cheeses should work too. Provolone is good, for example.
- Almond flour: I use blanched finely ground almond flour.
Making homemade broccoli tots is easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You start by mixing lightly cooked broccoli with seasoned eggs, cheddar cheese, and almond flour.
- Next, shape the mixture into tots. I like to use a 1.5-tablespoon scoop to scoop them right onto the baking sheet.
- Bake them until golden, about 10-15 minutes per side in a 400°F oven. That's it! So easy.
For best results, make sure to stir the mixture thoroughly. All broccoli pieces should be coated in the almond flour/cheese/egg mixture. This will help the bites retain their shape as they bake.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! That's how I always make them and it works really well. Baking is so much easier than frying. I avoid frying whenever I possibly can. I find it exhausting.
Yes. I tend to use frozen because it's so convenient - I always have it on hand and it's already chopped. But you can use fresh chopped broccoli instead.
There's no need to flatten the tots once you place them on the baking sheet. While I sometimes very gently flatten them, as I do in the video below, I find that I actually like them better when they're tall rather than flat.
I love this recipe as is and almost always make it as written. But in case you'd like to vary the basic recipe, here are a few ideas for you:
- I make these tots with almond flour to keep them keto and gluten-free, but you can use breadcrumbs if you prefer.
- You can use different cheeses - try provolone, gouda, or gruyere.
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder is good in this recipe.
- If you like spicy food, increase the cayenne to ¼ teaspoon.
These tasty bites are wonderful all on their own. My kids like dipping them in unsweetened ketchup or in Greek yogurt dip. They are also good dipped in guacamole.
When I make them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main course that I can bake in the same 400-degree oven. So I often serve them with keto meatballs, crispy baked chicken thighs, or baked chicken wings.
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power, or in a 300°F oven. Or enjoy them cold! You can also freeze the leftovers for up to three months.
👩🏻🍳 I typically publish a new or an updated recipe once a week. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Cheesy Broccoli Tots
- Olive oil spray
- 16 oz frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup blanched finely ground almond flour (4 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with high-heat-resistant parchment paper or nonstick foil and lightly spray it with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, to thaw. Drain REALLY well.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne.
- Add the cheddar and the almond flour, then add the thawed and drained broccoli. Use a large spoon to mix everything together. Mix thoroughly, making sure all broccoli pieces are coated.
- Use a heaping 1.5-tablespoon scoop to transfer mounds of the mixture into the baking sheet. You should get about 24 tots. Make sure they don’t touch each other. Lightly spray the tots with olive oil.
- Bake the tots for 15 minutes on the first side and for 10 more minutes on the second side, until browned. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes, then serve.
WATCH THE VIDEO:
ADD YOUR OWN NOTES
NUTRITION PER SERVING
❤️ Let's connect! Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, or Twitter.