Perfect for game day, or anytime you feel like a healthy keto snack, these tasty cauliflower tots are just as good as tater tots!
These cheesy keto cauliflower tots are so amazing. I started making them after my cheesy broccoli tots were such a hit. It occurred to me that I should make a version with cauliflower.
I’m especially pleased whenever a low carb or keto dish that I make becomes a favorite not just with my husband and me, but with my kids too. This is certainly the case with these delicious, cheesy snacks.
How to make keto cauliflower tots
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. But it’s a super easy recipe because I mix everything in the food processor. Here are the basic steps:
- I steam the cauliflower and drain.
- Then add it with spices, almond flour, and shredded cheddar to the food processor and process to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into a baking sheet and bake until golden brown. So easy!
These cauliflower tots are so very flavorful! I think they are even better than the broccoli tots. Probably because cauliflower is milder than broccoli and very similar to potatoes when cooked. So they make a truly wonderful healthy and keto alternative to tater tots.
Prefer a coarser texture?
Using the food processor makes this a very easy recipe. But it also means that the cauliflower tots are smooth – they don’t have these little pieces of cauliflower that are typical to tots. I think they are wonderful!
But if a coarser texture is important to you, you might want to chop the cauliflower very finely by hand and to mix the ingredients by hand.
Is this a healthy recipe?
However, if you have a specific issue that requires you to minimize your consumption of saturated fat, then it’s possible that this recipe is not the best fit for you.
How to serve keto cauliflower tots
I usually serve them as a side dish, but they are also great as an appetizer or a snack. Needless to say, they are perfect for game day!
My kids love dipping them in ketchup. I like them dipped in spicy sour cream (1/4 cup sour cream plus 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce).
More cauliflower recipes you might enjoy
Every time I cook with cauliflower, I’m amazed at how wonderfully versatile this vegetable is.
It’s such a gift to low carbers, because we get to enjoy dishes that are very close to old favorites (cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower, cauliflower pizza crust) without paying the health price of a high carb, refined food diet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray them with olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high until tender, stirring midway through cooking. Frozen florets will need a total cooking time of about 7 minutes. Fresh florets will need a total cooking time of about 5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower florets well and place on a clean kitchen towel to dry. Add them to your food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the eggs, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper to the food processor bowl. Process to combine.
- Add the almond flour and the cheddar and process until well combined.
- If a coarse texture is important to you, chop the cauliflower very finely by hand and mix the ingredients by hand instead of using the food processor.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheets. Each baking sheet should have 12 mounds, evenly spaced. Gently flatten them, just a little, with the back of a spoon.
- Spray the tots with olive oil spray. Bake until the bottoms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Flip to the other side, gently flatten some more, spray with more oil, and bake until set, about 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.