Perfect for game day, or anytime you feel like a healthy keto snack, these tasty cauliflower tots are just as good as tater tots!
I’m always pleased when a low carb or keto dish that I make becomes a favorite not just with my husband and me, but with my kids too.
This is certainly the case with these delicious, cheesy cauliflower tots (and it’s also true for cauliflower mac and cheese, by the way). These cheesy bites are so very flavorful!
Better than broccoli
I started making them after my cheesy broccoli tots were such a hit. It occurred to me that I should make a version with cauliflower. So I did, and I think these are actually better than the broccoli ones.
This is probably because cauliflower is milder than broccoli and very similar to potatoes when cooked. So they make a truly wonderful healthy and keto alternative to tater tots.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make cauliflower tots. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Olive oil spray.
- Cauliflower florets: You can use fresh or frozen. Both options are healthy.
- Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: Garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Blanched almond flour: A healthy flour substitute.
- Shredded cheddar: I like to use sharp cheddar.
How to make keto cauliflower tots
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. It’s a super easy recipe because I mix everything in the food processor. Here are the basic steps:
- I steam the cauliflower and drain.
- Then add it with spices, almond flour, and shredded cheddar to the food processor and process to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into a baking sheet and bake until golden brown. So easy!
Prefer a coarser texture?
Using the food processor makes this a very easy recipe. But it also means that the cauliflower bites are smooth. They don’t have these little textured pieces that are typical to traditional tots.
I think they are wonderful! But if a coarser texture is important to you, you might want to chop the cauliflower very finely by hand and to mix the ingredients by hand rather than use the food processor.
How to serve keto cauliflower tots
I usually serve them as a side dish, but they are also great as an appetizer or a snack. Needless to say, they are perfect for game day!
My kids love dipping them in ketchup. I like them dipped in spicy sour cream (1/4 cup sour cream plus 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce).
Reviews of this recipe
Pinterest users seem to enjoy this recipe. Look at their gorgeous photos! Here’s what they say:
- Debbie says, “Big hit, these are yummy! Will definitely make again.”
- Diana adds, “These are delicious we didn’t put ours in the food processor but hand chopped them fine for more texture. We will definitely make these again.”
- And Jonathan says, “Flippin’ amazing! Light and fluffy and delicious!”
More cauliflower recipes that you might enjoy
Every time I cook this vegetable, I’m amazed at how wonderfully versatile it is.
It’s such a gift to low-carbers because we get to enjoy dishes that are very close to old favorites (cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower, cauliflower pizza crust) without paying the health price of a diet high in refined carbs.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray them with olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high until tender, stirring midway through cooking. Frozen florets will need a total cooking time of about 7 minutes. Fresh florets will need a total cooking time of about 5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower florets well and place on a clean kitchen towel to dry. Add them to your food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the eggs, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper to the food processor bowl. Process to combine.
- Add the almond flour and the cheddar and process until well combined.
- If a coarse texture is important to you, chop the cauliflower very finely by hand and mix the ingredients by hand instead of using the food processor.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheets. Each baking sheet should have 12 mounds, evenly spaced. Gently flatten them, just a little, with the back of a spoon.
- Spray the tots with olive oil spray. Bake until the bottoms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Flip to the other side, gently flatten some more, spray with more oil, and bake until set, about 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.