This easy keto cheeseburger casserole is hearty and filling and makes a wonderful low carb alternative to a cheeseburger. You won’t miss the bun!
This keto cheeseburger casserole is delicious, in a delightfully non-gourmet sort of way. Grownups and kids alike always enjoy it. And the younger one – the Picky Eater- often asks for seconds!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Extra-lean ground beef
- Onion and garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Unsweetened ketchup
- Shredded cheddar
How to make keto cheeseburger casserole
This casserole is a wonderful option if you follow a keto or a low carb diet. You get all the wonderful flavors of a cheeseburger, without the soggy, spongy bun. Really, who needs a bun anyway? 😉
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basic steps are super easy:
- Start by cooking the beef and onion in olive oil.
- Add the garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Off heat, stir in the mayo, ketchup, mustard, and half the cheese.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes at 400°F.
What beef to use in keto cheeseburger casserole
I use extra lean ground beef (93% lean). I’ve got nothing against lean ground beef (85% lean), but when I cook it for a casserole I end up draining the fat anyway. So it makes more sense to use leaner meat that doesn’t require much draining.
But is this healthy? So much meat and cheese!
I believe it is. Some experts advise us to limit red meat. But fresh unprocessed meat is very nutritious and I do believe it has a place in a healthy diet, in moderation. Especially when accompanied by vegetables.
Take a look at the nutrition info for a serving of this recipe. I think it’s quite impressive!
You can add veggies for a complete meal
I really like casseroles. They’re just so EASY. You place a few ingredients in the casserole dish, place it in the oven, and 30-60 minutes later, dinner is ready!
If you’d like to turn this casserole into a complete meal, you can add 1-2 cups of uncooked riced cauliflower to the meat and onion and cook everything together. You might need to increase the olive oil a little if you do.
How to serve this keto cheeseburger casserole
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this keto cheeseburger casserole in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, on 50% power.
More ground beef recipes that you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- Olive oil spray for the baking dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup unsweetened ketchup
- 1 tablepsoon mustard
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar, divided (6 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef and the onions. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, until the meat is browned and the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- If there are liquids at the bottom of the skillet, drain the mixture and return it to the skillet.
- Stir in the kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Turn the heat off. Stir in the mayonnaise, unsweetened ketchup, mustard, and 1 cup cheddar.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, about 15 minutes. Or, if your baking dish is broiler-safe, broil the casserole 6 inches below the heating element (not directly below) until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.