This easy keto cheeseburger casserole is hearty and filling and makes a wonderful low carb alternative to cheeseburger. You won’t miss the bun!
This cheeseburger casserole is delicious, in a delightfully non-gourmet sort of way. Grownups and kids alike loved it when I served it tonight. And the younger one – the picky eater- even asked for seconds! 😮
(2018 update: I have since made this cheeseburger casserole many times. It continues to be a hit!)
Keto cheeseburger casserole
This keto cheeseburger casserole is a wonderful option if you follow a keto or a low carb diet. You get all the wonderful flavors of cheeseburger, without the soggy, spongy bun. Really, who needs a bun anyway? 🙂
The addition of chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin really elevates this cheeseburger casserole and adds so much flavor.
As you can see in the photos, I like to break the meat into fairly large chunks. This is a personal preference, and you can certainly break it up into smaller pieces.
But is this healthy? So much cheese!
That would depend on how you define “healthy.” I define it as whole-foods ingredients and low carb, so for me, this is indeed a healthy choice. Though I do always serve it with a green vegetable.
So yes, I do believe this casserole is a good choice. Especially when served with a side of vegetables.
You can add veggies for a complete meal
You know, I really like casseroles. They’re just so EASY. You place a few ingredients in the casserole dish, place it in the oven, and 30-60 minutes later, dinner is ready!
In fact, next time I make this cheeseburger casserole, I plan on adding veggies into the mix, to make my life even easier. I’m thinking that mixing in uncooked riced cauliflower and baking the whole thing together would work really well.
How to serve this keto cheeseburger casserole?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this cheeseburger casserole in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, on 50% power.
- Olive oil spray for the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded, divided (6 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 x 8-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and the kosher salt. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, about 10 minutes, until meat is browned, onion is soft and liquids have evaporated.
- Add the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for five minutes, then stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes.