Low carb, paleo cauliflower potato salad tastes so much like the real thing. It amazes me every time I make it!
You might think that a potato salad made with cauliflower sounds suspicious. I thought so too until I tried it! Give this cauliflower potato salad a try and you’ll be amazed. The flavor and texture are so similar to real potato salad. And it’s just as comfort-foody and satisfying!
Cauliflower is a better choice than potatoes
Besides its great flavor, a compelling reason to give this recipe a try is that it’s healthy. The carb count for this cauliflower potato salad is, of course, much lower than real potato salad. And even if you don’t eat a low carb diet, obviously cauliflower is a better choice than white potatoes.
The ingredients used in this recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty side dish. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Fresh cauliflower
- Dill pickles
- Red onion
- Mayonnaise (I prefer avocado oil mayo)
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Hard-boiled eggs
How to make cauliflower potato salad
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by cooking the cauliflower pieces in the microwave until tender-crisp.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower to a large serving bowl. Stir in the celery, the pickles and the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add to the cauliflower mixture and mix.
- Gently stir in the eggs. Serve immediately, or chill before serving.
What mayonnaise to use?
If you prefer, you can use the same amount of sour cream. Or use plain full-fat Greek yogurt. Both are excellent, although mayonnaise is better, in my opinion. And Greek yogurt is a bit too sour for my taste.
How to serve cauliflower potato salad?
How to store leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this cauliflower potato salad in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. Give them a gentle mix before serving them.
More cauliflower recipes you might enjoy
Cauliflower is such an amazing low carb substitute for potatoes. Another favorite of mine is this recipe for loaded mashed cauliflower. It’s scrumptious! And this cauliflower casserole is festive and rich. It’s a great addition to your holiday table.
Cauliflower Potato Salad
- 1 medium cauliflower head (1 lb. when trimmed)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced dill pickles
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablepsoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cut into chunks
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water, cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 7 minutes, or until just tender. Strain into a colander and allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the celery, the pickles and the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add to the cauliflower mixture and mix gently with a spatula.
- Gently stir in the eggs. Serve immediately, or cover and chill for an hour or so to allow flavors to meld.