Keto cauliflower potato salad tastes so much like the real thing. It amazes me every time I make it!
Cauliflower is such an amazing vegetable. It’s not just good for you – it also makes a wonderful substitute to starchy side dishes. Mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice, and cauliflower tots are all great examples.
You might think that a potato salad made with cauliflower sounds suspicious. I thought so too until I actually tried it! But give this recipe a try and you’ll be amazed. The flavor and texture are so similar to the real thing. And it’s true comfort food and just as satisfying as the original!
The ingredients used in this recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty side dish. Scroll down to the recipe card for the exact measurements.
Fresh cauliflower: I don’t recommend using frozen cauliflower in this recipe.
Celery: Adds a wonderful crunch and also some color to the salad.
Dill pickles: One time I used chopped black olives instead. I like the pickles better.
Red onion: You can also try chopped green onions.
Mayonnaise: I prefer avocado oil-based mayo. But any mayonnaise will work. If you prefer, you can use the same amount of sour cream. Or use plain full-fat Greek yogurt. Both are excellent, although mayonnaise is better, in my opinion. And Greek yogurt is a bit too tangy for my taste.
Dijon mustard: This traditional French mustard is creamier, thicker, and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar. Both work.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Hard-boiled eggs: I prefer them fully cooked, so when using this guide for cooking hard-boiled eggs, I leave them in the hot water for 12 minutes.
How to make cauliflower potato salad
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to cook the cauliflower pieces in the microwave until tender-crisp.
2. Transfer the cooked cauliflower to a large serving bowl. Stir in the celery, the pickles, and the onions.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add to the cauliflower mixture and mix.
4. Gently stir in the eggs. Serve immediately, or chill before serving.
How to serve this salad?
I serve it with any dish that would go well with regular potato salad. A few of my favorites are:
How to store the leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this cauliflower potato salad in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. Give them a gentle mix before serving them.
More cauliflower recipes that you might enjoy
Cauliflower is such an amazing low carb and keto substitute for potatoes. Another favorite of mine is this recipe for loaded mashed cauliflower. It’s scrumptious!
And this cauliflower casserole is festive and rich. Sometimes I make two of them because the leftovers are excellent!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Cauliflower Potato Salad
- 1 medium cauliflower head (1 lb. when trimmed)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced dill pickles
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablepsoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cut into chunks
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water, cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 7 minutes, or until just tender. Strain into a colander and allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the celery, the pickles and the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add to the cauliflower mixture and mix gently with a spatula.
- Gently stir in the eggs. Serve immediately, or cover and chill for an hour or so to allow flavors to meld.