Delicious mashed pumpkin, flavored with garlic and Parmesan. I add just enough heavy cream to achieve a smooth, creamy texture – 1/4 cup should do it.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Primal, Vegetarian
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 small pumpkin (3 lb. whole, 2 lb. peeled and cleaned)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the pumpkin. Using a very sharp chef’s knife and a back-and-forth sawing motion, cut a thin slice off the stem end. Place the pumpkin on this newly formed flat area and, again using a back-and-forth sawing motion, cut it in half.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the seeds and the pulp, saving the seeds and washing them to make delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel each pumpkin half, then slice it into 1-inch-thick slices. Cube the slices into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the pumpkin cubes in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Cover with cling wrap and microwave on high for 15 minutes, stopping once to stir the pieces, until very tender.
- Transfer half the cooked pumpkin cubes to food processor. Process briefly, until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining pumpkin cubes and process them too until finely chopped.
- Return the first batch of finely chopped pumpkin to the food processor. Add the heavy cream, Parmesan, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape the sides with a spatula. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 112; Fat: 6g; Carbohydrates: 10g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 534mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 5g