An easy recipe for savory baked pumpkin, seasoned with olive oil, garlic and chili powder. This baked pumpkin recipe is healthy and paleo.
I make this savory baked pumpkin recipe year round, not just in October and November. It’s such a healthy side dish, and it’s also very easy to make.
When you think about pumpkin, do you only think about pumpkin pie? If so, you’re missing out! Pumpkin makes a wonderful and healthy savory side dish.
This delicious baked pumpkin is seasoned with olive oil, garlic and chili powder. This flavor combination is phenomenal! If you like starchy sides but prefer something healthier and lower in carbs than potatoes, savory baked pumpkin is the perfect side dish for you.
Other savory pumpkin dishes that I love include mashed pumpkin, pumpkin chili and stuffed pumpkin. Sometimes I make roasted whole pumpkin. It’s a bit more time consuming, but it’s a very versatile recipe.
It’s best to use a small sugar pumpkin when making this recipe. the bigger the pumpkin, the less flavor it has. You want a small pumpkin with firm, deep orange flesh. Use the big pumpkins for Jack-o-lanterns, not for cooking.
Leftovers of this savory baked pumpkin keep well for several days in the fridge. Heat them briefly in the microwave prior to serving.
Savory Baked Pumpkin
- 1 sugar pumpkin, 2 lb.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Set oven rack to the lowest position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the pumpkin and cut the stem off. Place in the microwave and microwave 1 minute on high, to soften.
- Carefully, using a very sharp chef’s knife and back-and-forth sawing motions, cut the pumpkin in half. Use a large metal spoon to remove the pulp and the seeds. If stubborn pulp remains, cut it with kitchen scissors.
- Back to using the sharp knife and the sawing motions, cut each half of the pumpkin into four 1-inch-thick moon-shaped slices, discarding the ends.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin.
- Cut each pumpkin slice into 1-inch cubes.
- Arrange the pumpkin cubes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with the seasonings, and use your hands to evenly coat the pumpkin.
- Bake the pumpkin cubes until tender, 30-40 minutes, tossing them halfway through. Serve the savory baked pumpkin immediately.