An easy recipe for very flavorful sweet potato cakes, seasoned with curry powder. Made with almond flour, they are paleo and gluten-free.
These very flavorful sweet potato cakes are so good. They are one of my kids’ favorite side dishes, so I make them often. I don’t mind – they are very easy to make.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Avocado oil spray for the pan.
- Large egg.
- Salt and pepper.
- Spices: curry powder and dried thyme.
- Blanched almond flour.
- Sweet potato.
How to make sweet potato cakes
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Microwave a sweet potato. Cooking it in the microwave is easy and quick.
- Then mash it with a mixture of eggs, almond flour, and spices.
- Place mounds of the mixture on a greased baking sheet.
- Spray with oil, then bake until set and golden.
I season these sweet potato patties with curry powder, which gives them a complex, Indian-inspired flavor and warmth. And instead of adding white flour to the mixture, I use almond flour, keeping them paleo and gluten-free.
I also bake them instead of frying. Not so much for health reasons (frying with healthy oils is fine), but simply because baking is so much easier!
What to serve with sweet potato cakes?
Because of their Indian flavor profile, I like to serve them as a side dish when I make tandoori chicken.
But it’s a very versatile side dish that goes with many main dishes. And since I bake them in a 400°F oven, I sometimes serve them with a main dish that I can bake in the same oven, such as lamb meatballs or maple chicken.
Is this a healthy recipe?
What about leftovers?
This recipe makes six sweet potato cakes and can easily be doubled. Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, or simply eat them cold as I often do! They are very tasty when topped with sour cream.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Sweet Potato Cakes
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (1 oz)
- 1 large sweet potato (1 lb.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, sea salt, black pepper, curry powder and dried thyme. Mix in the almond flour. Set aside.
- Pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork. Microwave until tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes until easier to handle, then peel and mash well with a fork.
- Add the mashed sweet potato to the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Using a 4-tablespoon scoop or measuring cup, scoop six mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten with a spatula. Spray with oil.
- Bake the sweet potato cakes for 15 minutes. Flip to other side, spray with more oil and bake until browned and set, 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.