An easy recipe for very flavorful mashed sweet potato cakes, seasoned with curry powder. Made with almond flour, they are paleo and gluten free.
These very flavorful mashed sweet potato cakes are so good. They are one of my kids’ favorite side dishes, so I make them often. I don’t mind – they are very easy to make.
How to make sweet potato cakes
It’s so easy! Microwave sweet potato, then mash it with a mixture of eggs, almond flour, and spices. Place mounds of the mixture on a baking sheet and bake until set and golden. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
I season these sweet potato cakes with curry powder, which gives them a complex, Indian-inspired flavor and warmth. And instead of adding white flour to the mixture, I use almond flour, keeping these cakes paleo and gluten-free.
I also bake these sweet potato cakes instead of frying. Not so much for health reasons (frying with healthy oils is fine), but simply because baking is so much easier!
What to serve with sweet potato cakes?
Because of their Indian flavor profile, I like to serve them as a side dish when I make tandoori chicken. But it’s a very versatile side dish that goes with many main dishes. Since I bake the sweet potato cakes in a 400°F oven, I sometimes serve them with a main dish that I can bake in the same oven, such as lamb meatballs or maple chicken.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. While it’s not low carb, so isn’t suitable for those who need to limit their carb intake, this recipe is made with a short list of whole-food ingredients. For those who can handle carbs, sweet potatoes are very healthy.
What about leftovers?
This recipe makes 6 sweet potato cakes and can easily be doubled. Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave, or simply eat them cold as I often do! They are very tasty when topped with sour cream.
Sweet Potato Cakes
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (1 oz)
- 1 large sweet potato (1 lb.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, sea salt, black pepper, curry powder and dried thyme. Mix in the almond flour. Set aside.
- Pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork. Microwave until tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes until easier to handle, then peel and mash well with a fork.
- Add the mashed sweet potato to the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Using a 4-tablespoon scoop or measuring cup, scoop six mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten with a spatula. Spray with oil.
- Bake the sweet potato cakes for 15 minutes. Flip to other side, spray with more oil and bake until browned and set, 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.