Oven baked tandoori chicken is wonderfully juicy and very flavorful, even when using a home oven and not a traditional tandoori oven.
This homemade oven baked tandoori chicken is succulent, intensely flavorful and very easy to make. I’ve been making it quite often lately because all my family members love it.
I adore tandoori dishes. They are just so flavorful! A real treat for me is going to an Indian restaurant and ordering a mixed tandoori plate of lamb, chicken, and fish. Then, for dessert, mango ice cream! (My homemade mango frozen yogurt is wonderful, by the way).
What is tandoori chicken?
Tandoori chicken is an Indian chicken dish prepared by roasting chicken marinated in yogurt and spices in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven.
Can you make baked tandoori chicken in your home oven?
Yes! It won’t be exactly the same. But if you use very high heat and traditional seasonings, it’s actually very close. For best results, set your oven to high heat, 475 degrees F. Roast the chicken until charred in spots. This will ensure juicy, flavorful chicken, even without a traditional oven.
Does tandoori chicken have skin?
Tandoori chicken is usually made with skinless bone-in chicken pieces. The thick yogurt coating helps prevent the chicken meat from drying out, even without the protection fo the fatty skin. But I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. They are very flavorful and so easy to eat.
Is baked tandoori chicken healthy?
What side dishes go with baked tandoori chicken?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty chicken recipes
Enjoyed this baked tandoori chicken? Here’s another great recipe for boneless skinless chicken thighs – spicy chicken thighs. And if you enjoy Indian flavors, you should definitely try this excellent recipe for keto butter chicken!
Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 lb. total weight)
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Marinate for 1 hour in fridge. You may also do this in the morning, leave the chicken to marinate, covered, in the fridge, then roast at night when it's time for dinner.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Fit a baking sheet with a roasting rack and spray the rack with nonstick spray. Place the coated chicken pieces on the rack.
- Roast until charred in spots and juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve.