Oven baked tandoori chicken is wonderfully juicy and very flavorful, even when using a home oven and not a traditional tandoori oven.
This homemade oven baked tandoori chicken is succulent, intensely flavorful and very easy to make.
I adore tandoori dishes. They are just so flavorful! A real treat for me is going to an Indian restaurant and ordering a mixed tandoori plate of lamb, chicken and fish.
Even without a traditional tandoori oven, you can produce tasty oven baked tandoori chicken in your home oven. It won’t be exactly the same. But if you use a high heat setting, it’s very close.
When making oven baked tandoori chicken, set your oven to high heat, 475 degrees F. Roast the chicken until charred in spots. This will ensure juicy, flavorful chicken, even without a traditional tandoori oven.
Tandoori chicken is usually made with bone-in chicken pieces. But I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this oven baked tandoori chicken recipe. They are very flavorful and so easy to eat.
Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 lb. total weight)
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Marinate for 1 hour in fridge. You may also do this in the morning, leave the chicken to marinate, covered, in the fridge, then roast at night when it's time for dinner.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Fit a baking sheet with a roasting rack and spray the rack with nonstick spray. Place the coated chicken pieces on the rack.
- Roast until charred in spots and juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve.