Baked hamburgers are the easiest way to make burgers. No need to form the patties or to keep an eye on them – let the oven do all the work for you!
But lately, I’ve been gravitating towards cooking burgers in the oven instead. It’s just so easy!
The ingredients you’ll need to make baked hamburgers
The beauty of this recipe is that it requires a fairly short list of ingredients that you probably already have. The exact measurements are in the recipe card below, but here’s a general overview of what you’ll need:
- Ground beef: I like to use lean ground beef (85/15). Leaner than that is too dry, in my opinion.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: Onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Spices are delicious and healthy. Just make sure they are all fresh. A stale spice can really ruin a dish!
- Sliced cheddar: I use sharp cheddar for extra flavor.
How to cook burgers in the oven?
It’s super easy! There’s no need to form the meat into patties, or to keep an eye on the burgers as they fry or grill. And just as important – no grease splatters to clean up! See the recipe card below for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Combine the ground beef with the spices.
- Press the mixture into a glass square 8-inch pan. There’s no need to grease the pan.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes at 400°F. Carefully drain.
- Top the cooked meat with the cheese slices. Return to the oven and bake just until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then cut into four squares and serve.
Do baked hamburgers taste good?
They do. The only issue is that the meat does tend to come out a bit drier since some juices are lost while baking.
So they are not as good as, say, broiled burgers. Still, these burgers are delicious, and my family requests them often.
What to serve with baked hamburgers?
Anything you would serve with regular burgers! I like to serve them with any of the following:
What to do with leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for 3 days. You can reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power.
But I actually love them best cold! I make myself a lunch plate of cold baked hamburgers, Dijon mustard, fresh-cut veggies, and quick pickles. Yum.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 slices sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili.
- Gently press the beef mixture into an ungreased glass square 8-inch pan.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. A meat thermometer should read 160 degrees F.
- If there’s a lot of cooking liquid in the pan, you can drain some. I like to keep it and allow some of it to get absorbed back into the burgers as they rest.
- Top the cooked meat with the cheese slices. Return the pan to the oven and bake just until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest and set for 5 minutes. Cut into four squares and serve.