In this delicious vegetarian okra stew, the okra is gently simmered in a chunky tomato sauce and seasoned with onion, garlic, paprika and cumin.
If you like okra, I think you will really enjoy this flavorful okra stew. It’s one of my favorite side dishes, and we all like it, except for my youngest, The Picky Eater (but that’s hardly a surprise). I love this recipe for its Mediterranean flavors, and I also love it because it’s an easy recipe, ready in just 30 minutes.
How to take the slime out of okra?
Okra is one of my favorite vegetables. It is very healthy, and I love the way it tastes.
Okra roasted in olive oil is amazing. It’s almost like a snack, so delicious and crispy. Roasting also helps with the one issue that many people have with okra – its texture. Okra contains clear goop called mucilage, which many people find quite objectionable.
In this okra stew, the mucilage actually works with us the cooks, not against us, because it helps to thicken the stew. In addition, the acidity of the tomatoes gets rid of some of the sliminess. So I think you will find that this okra stew is not slimy at all.
What to serve with okra stew?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this okra stew in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
- 1.5 lb. fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 26 oz chopped tomatoes, undrained (I use the Pomi brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the okra, trim the ends, and cut into pieces (cut each okra into 2-3 pieces, depending on its size). You'll end up with about 1.25 lb. okra.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and salt, and sauté until tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute, then add the paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the okra. Cook 1 minute, stirring, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender.
- Remove from heat. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.