In this delicious okra stew, the okra is gently simmered in a chunky tomato sauce and seasoned with onion, garlic, paprika, and cumin.
If you like okra, I think you will really enjoy this flavorful okra stew. It’s one of my favorite side dishes, and we all like it, except for my youngest, The Picky Eater (but that’s hardly a surprise).
I love this recipe for its Mediterranean flavors, and I also love it because it’s an easy recipe, ready in just 30 minutes.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Fresh okra
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Kosher salt
- Minced garlic
- Spices: paprika and cumin
- Chopped tomatoes, undrained
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make okra stew
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- start by preparing the okra – rinse and dry it, trim the ends, and cut into pieces.
- Cook the onion in olive oil with the salt.
- Add the garlic and spices.
- Add the okra, then the tomatoes. Simmer until the okra is tender.
- Season with black pepper and serve.
How to take the slime out of okra?
Okra is one of my favorite vegetables. It is very healthy, and I love the way it tastes.
Okra roasted in olive oil is amazing. It’s almost like a snack, so delicious and crispy. Roasting also helps with the one issue that many people have with okra – its texture. Okra contains clear goop called mucilage, which many people find quite objectionable.
In this okra stew, the mucilage actually works with us the cooks, not against us, because it helps to thicken the stew.
In addition, the acidity of the tomatoes gets rid of some of the sliminess. So I think you will find that this delicious stew is not slimy at all.
What to serve with okra stew?
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1.5 lb. fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 26 oz chopped tomatoes, undrained (I use the Pomi brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the okra, trim the ends, and cut into pieces (cut each okra into 2-3 pieces, depending on its size). You’ll end up with about 1.25 lb. okra.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and salt, and sauté until tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute, then add the paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the okra. Cook 1 minute, stirring, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender.
- Remove from heat. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.