Delicious grilled okra is ready in just a few minutes, and the grilling eliminates the sliminess typical to okra. Serve alone, or with a dipping sauce.
This crispy grilled okra is so good! I can’t believe I’ve found a way to prepare okra that’s even better than my delicious roasted okra.
This grilled okra is just as good as roasted okra, but it’s ready much faster because you don’t have to heat an oven. It’s ridiculously easy to make, too.
How do you cook okra so it’s not slimy?
That’s one of the best things about grilling okra. Just like roasting, grilling eliminates any sliminess typical to okra.
Growing up, I had a friend whose mom was an amazing cook. I often went to that friend’s house after school, hoping to eat lunch at his house. And I often succeeded in my scheme. 🙂 One of her best recipes was stewed okra and tomatoes (here’s my own attempt at tomato okra stew).
Cooking okra with tomatoes helps to reduce the sliminess typical to okra. But the same goal is achieved when using high-heat cooking techniques such as roasting or grilling.
I use an indoor dual-contact grill (George Foreman) when making this recipe. You can use a grill pan if you prefer. This would double the grilling time, but the okra will still be ready fast.
What to serve with grilled okra?
Grilled okra is very good on its own, as a side dish. You can also serve it with a simple dipping sauce – mix 4 TBS mayo with 1 TBS Dijon mustard and 1 TBS ketchup.
What are the benefits of eating okra?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover grilled okra in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat the leftovers gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
- 1 lb. fresh okra (350 grams after trimming)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat dual-contact indoor grill such as a George Foreman grill, or a grill pan.
- Rinse the okra and dry using a clean kitchen towel. Trim the ends.
- Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Transfer to the hot grill. Close the lid and press to flatten. Grill for 5 minutes if using a George Forman grill, or for 5 minutes on each side if using a grill pan, until fork-tender. Serve immediately.