Delicious grilled okra is ready in just a few minutes, and the grilling eliminates any sliminess. Serve alone, or with a tasty dipping sauce.
This grilled okra is so good! I can’t believe I’ve found a way to prepare okra that’s just as good as roasted okra.
And it’s ready much faster because you don’t have to heat up an oven. It’s ridiculously easy to make, too.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need five simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish (exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
- Fresh okra
- Olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to make grilled okra
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Heat up your grill. I use a George Foreman grill, but you can use any grill you like.
- Trim the okra and toss with the olive oil and spices.
- Grill 5 minutes per side.
How do you cook okra so it’s not slimy?
That’s one of the best things about using your grill. Just like roasting, grilling eliminates any sliminess typical to this vegetable.
Growing up, I had a friend whose mom was an amazing cook. I often went to that friend’s house after school, hoping to eat lunch at his house. And I often succeeded in my scheme. 🙂 One of her best recipes was stewed okra and tomatoes (here’s my own attempt at tomato okra stew).
Cooking okra with tomatoes helps to reduce the sliminess typical to okra. But the same goal is achieved when using high-heat cooking techniques such as roasting or grilling.
I use an indoor dual-contact grill (George Foreman) when making this recipe. You can use a grill pan if you prefer, or an outdoor grill. This would double the grilling time, but the recipe will still be ready fast.
What to serve with grilled okra?
It’s is very good on its own, as a side dish. You can also serve it with a simple dipping sauce – mix 4 TBS mayo with 1 TBS Dijon mustard and 1 TBS ketchup.
Since I use the grill for this recipe, I often serve it with a grilled main dish such as:
What are the benefits of eating okra?
What to do with leftover grilled okra?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. fresh okra (350 grams after trimming)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat your grill on medium-high. You can use a dual-contact indoor grill such as a George Foreman grill, a grill pan, or an outdoor grill.
- Rinse the okra and dry using a clean kitchen towel. Trim the ends.
- Place the okra in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Transfer to the hot grill. Grill until tender, 5 minutes if using a George Foreman grill, or 5 minutes per side if using a grill pan or an outdoor grill.