Enjoy loaded mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese and you won’t miss the potatoes! It’s scrumptious, delicious, very filling, and keto/low carb.
Mashed cauliflower is delicious and surprisingly similar to mashed potatoes. This makes it an ideal low-carb and keto substitute.
Loading the mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese makes it even better. But hey, bacon and cheese make everything better. 😀
Cauliflower: the ideal keto substitute for potatoes
It’s no wonder cauliflower is such a hit in the low carb world. It’s good for you, extremely versatile, and it makes a wonderful substitute for potatoes. A few great examples in addition to this recipe:
The ingredients you’ll need to make loaded mashed cauliflower
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Butter: I use unsalted butter.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar. Both work.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
Bacon: You can cook it yourself or use store-bought bacon bits. And if you’d rather avoid processed meats, you can simply omit it.
Cauliflower: You should definitely use fresh cauliflower in this recipe. I don’t think frozen will be as good.
Shredded cheddar: Sharp cheddar is so flavorful.
Chives or parsley for garnish: Not mandatory, but without it, the dish looks kinds brownish…
How to make loaded mashed cauliflower
It’s easy to make, although this recipe does have a few steps. The detailed instructions are listed in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
Cook the bacon. First, you need to cook and crumble the bacon.
Cook and mash the cauliflower. Then, microwave the cauliflower and mash it with butter and spices.
Assemble the dish and bake. Layer everything in a casserole dish – cauliflower, bacon and cheese- and bake until hot and bubbly.
How to serve it?
This is a very rich side dish. So to balance it out, I serve it with simple, lean main courses such as:
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. The bacon does lose its crispiness, but the dish is still very rich and flavorful. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium head cauliflower (1 lb. when trimmed)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butter, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper in your food processor bowl.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into chunks. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover, and microwave on high until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and transfer to the food processor.
- Process the cauliflower until very smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the cauliflower puree to a small casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheddar and the crumbled bacon. Bake just until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with the parsley and serve.