Enjoy loaded mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese and you won’t miss the potatoes! It’s scrumptious, delicious, very filling, and keto/low carb.
I’ve been making loaded mashed cauliflower often. My family loves it and requests this side dish every chance they get. And I am happy to oblige!
It’s no wonder cauliflower is such a hit in the low carb world. It’s healthy, extremely versatile, and makes a wonderful substitute to potatoes. A few great examples are mashed cauliflower, mock potato salad and cheesy cauliflower casserole.
Mashed cauliflower is delicious, and surprisingly similar to mashed potatoes. This makes it an ideal low-carb substitute. Loading the mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese makes it even better. But hey, bacon and cheese make everything better. 😀
It’s easy to make loaded mashed cauliflower, although this recipe does have a few steps. You need to cook and crumble the bacon. And you need to microwave the cauliflower and mash it. Then you layer everything in a casserole dish – cauliflower, bacon and cheese- and bake until hot and bubbly.
If you have any leftovers, they keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. The bacon does lose its crispiness, but the dish is still very rich and flavorful. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium head cauliflower (1 lb. when trimmed)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butter, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper in your food processor bowl.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into chunks. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover, and microwave on high until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and transfer to the food processor.
- Process the cauliflower until very smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the cauliflower puree to a small casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheddar and the crumbled bacon. Bake just until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with the parsley and serve.