Enjoy loaded mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese and you won’t miss the potatoes! It’s scrumptious, delicious, very filling, and keto/low carb.
I’ve been making loaded mashed cauliflower often. My family loves it and requests this side dish every chance they get. And I am happy to oblige!
Cauliflower: an ideal low carb substitute
It’s no wonder cauliflower is such a hit in the low carb world. It’s healthy, extremely versatile, and makes a wonderful substitute to potatoes. A few great examples are mashed cauliflower, mock potato salad, and cheesy cauliflower casserole.
Mashed cauliflower is delicious and surprisingly similar to mashed potatoes. This makes it an ideal low-carb substitute. Loading the mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese makes it even better. But hey, bacon and cheese make everything better. 😀
How do you make loaded mashed cauliflower?
It’s easy to make loaded mashed cauliflower, although this recipe does have a few steps. You need to cook and crumble the bacon. And you need to microwave the cauliflower and mash it. Then you layer everything in a casserole dish – cauliflower, bacon and cheese- and bake until hot and bubbly. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
But is this a healthy recipe with all this butter, cheese and bacon?
I think it is. Current research says that for most healthy people, dairy fat is actually harmless, and might even be beneficial. As for bacon, it’s not an ideal food and should not be a staple of your diet. Personally, I think that using it in small amounts to flavor recipes is fine. But you should make your own decision, of course. Here’s a good article about the pros and cons of eating bacon.
How to serve loaded mashed cauliflower?
What about leftovers?
If you have any loaded mashed cauliflower leftovers, they keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. The bacon does lose its crispiness, but the dish is still very rich and flavorful. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium head cauliflower (1 lb. when trimmed)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butter, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper in your food processor bowl.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into chunks. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover, and microwave on high until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and transfer to the food processor.
- Process the cauliflower until very smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the cauliflower puree to a small casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheddar and the crumbled bacon. Bake just until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with the parsley and serve.