Microwave bacon is the easiest way to cook bacon. It comes out wonderfully crispy and evenly cooked. And you don’t need a special cooker!
Microwave bacon is amazing. I resisted it for a long time, thinking that it won’t be as good as oven bacon. I was wrong. It’s is just as good as oven bacon. It cooks evenly, and it comes out perfectly crispy.
Is it okay to microwave bacon?
Yes, it is! The only caveat: place the bacon between layers of paper towels. The bottom layer will absorb quite a lot of grease. And the top layer will prevent splatters.
Is it healthy to cook bacon in the microwave?
But isn’t bacon unhealthy?
My own personal choice is to consume processed meats, including bacon, in moderation.
So how do you microwave bacon?
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions and to watch the video. But basically, you place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels. Cover it with more paper towels. Then microwave on high until crispy. In my microwave, this takes 4 minutes.
However, microwaves greatly vary, so it’s a good idea to check after 3 minutes. You can always add another minute if needed. Do be careful when removing the plate from the microwave. It will be very hot. Use the edges of the paper towels to hold it, or use oven mitts.
What if I like my bacon chewy?
You can make chewy bacon in the microwave. Simply microwave it for less time. Start with 2 minutes for 4 slices, check the bacon, and add 1 more minute if needed.
How to use microwave bacon
Use it as you would use any other bacon you make! It’s an obvious breakfast choice, perhaps with microwave scrambled eggs. It’s also excellent in lettuce wrap sandwiches. And it makes a great topping for burgers.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat it gently, covered in a paper towel, in the microwave. Or enjoy it cold! It’s surprisingly good.
- 8 oz bacon (1 package, 8 slices)
- Place two paper towels on a dinner plate.
- Arrange four slices of bacon on the paper towels, not touching each other.
- Place two more paper towels on top of the bacon slices.
- Microwave on high until crispy. In my microwave, this takes 4 minutes. However, microwave ovens greatly vary, so check after 3 minutes. You can always add 1 more minute if needed.
- Remove the plate carefully from the microwave. It will be very hot. Repeat with the four remaining bacon slices.