Microwave bacon is the easiest way to cook bacon. It comes out wonderfully crispy and evenly cooked. And you don't need a special cooker!
Microwave bacon is amazing. I resisted it for a long time, thinking that it won't be as good as oven bacon.
I was wrong! Using the microwave is just as good as using the oven or a frying pan. The bacon cooks evenly and comes out perfectly crispy.
Is it okay to microwave bacon?
Yes, it is! The only caveat: place the bacon between layers of paper towels. The bottom layer will absorb quite a lot of grease. And the top layer will prevent splatters.
But is it a healthy cooking method?
Isn't bacon unhealthy?
It's certainly not a health food and should not be a staple of anyone's diet. But I think you already knew that. 🙂
My own personal choice is to consume processed meats, including bacon, in moderation.
So how do you microwave bacon?
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions and to watch the video. The basic steps:
- You place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Cover it with more paper towels.
- Then microwave on high until crispy. In my microwave, this takes 4 minutes.
However, microwaves greatly vary, so it's a good idea to check after 3 minutes. You can always add another minute if needed.
And do be careful when removing the plate from the microwave. It will be very hot. Use the edges of the paper towels to hold it, or use oven mitts.
What if I like my bacon chewy?
No problem! My daughter prefers it chewy, so when I make it for her, I simply microwave it for a shorter time.
I suggest you start with two minutes for four slices, check the bacon, and add one more minute if needed.
How to use microwave bacon
Use it as you would use any other bacon you make! It's an obvious breakfast choice, perhaps with microwave scrambled eggs.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered in a paper towel, in the microwave. Or enjoy the leftovers cold! Cold cooked bacon is surprisingly delicious.
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 8 oz bacon (1 package, 8 slices)
- Place two paper towels on a dinner plate.
- Arrange four slices of bacon on the paper towels, not touching each other.
- Place two more paper towels on top of the bacon slices.
- Microwave on high until crispy. In my microwave, this takes 4 minutes. However, microwave ovens greatly vary, so check after 3 minutes. You can always add 1 more minute if needed.
- Remove the plate carefully from the microwave. It will be very hot. Repeat with the four remaining bacon slices.