An easy recipe for baked lamb meatballs. Served with a tasty yogurt sauce, these baked lamb meatballs are so very flavorful!
This easy recipe for baked lamb meatballs relies on the inherently bold flavor of lamb. Simply mix in a few spices, form into meatballs and bake. Dipped in mint yogurt sauce, these baked lamb meatballs are absolutely delicious!
Is lamb healthy?
I really like lamb and find it a refreshing change from the ubiquitous beef. Although I usually opt for using ground beef when making meatballs, sometimes I crave the bold flavor of lamb, and then I make these meatballs.
Except for our youngest daughter, the Picky Eater, everyone in my family loves these meatballs. I often double the recipe to ensure I have leftovers for the next day!
I do believe that lamb is healthy. It’s very nutritious. And while some observational studies have linked a high intake of red meat with an increased risk of diseases, the evidence is mixed and other studies have found no such link.
Of course, it’s always a good idea, when eating any type of meat, to balance it out with a big serving of vegetables!
Why bake the meatballs?
I like to bake the meatballs because it’s the easiest method, in my opinion, for cooking meatballs. I actually like baking in general. It’s a hands-off cooking method which does not involve constant stirring and adjusting.
What to serve with baked lamb meatballs?
They’re actually great with many sides, but I almost always serve them with roasted cherry tomatoes. The flavors go really well together, and I can make both dishes in the same oven. Another classic side dish for these lamb meatballs is eggplant.
What to do with leftover lamb meatballs?
If you have leftover baked lamb meatballs, they keep well in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power prior to serving. I’ll go ahead and admit that I sometimes eat them cold, dipped in the yogurt sauce or in tahini sauce.
More tasty baked meatballs recipes
Not everyone likes the bold flavor of lamb. So if these baked lamb meatballs are not your thing, may I suggest you try a few of my beef meatballs recipes? Simple baked meatballs and spicy meatballs are always a big hit when I make them.
Baked Lamb Meatballs
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage 5%)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil spray.
- Prepare the sauce by processing all its ingredients in the food processor. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the meatballs ingredients. Form into 20 meatballs, each weighing about 1 oz.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve the baked lamb meatballs immediately, with the yogurt sauce on the side.