Juicy and flavorful, these grilled homemade lamb burgers are not just delicious, but also very easy to make. The mint yogurt sauce complements them perfectly.
These lamb burgers have become a big hit in our house. It astonishes me that even the Picky Eater likes them.
What does lamb burger taste like?
Not everyone likes lamb, but I love it. It has this distinct, bold flavor that I really enjoy. Beef is delicious, of course, but compared with lamb, it’s almost bland.
The bold flavor of these grilled lamb burgers is complemented perfectly by the mint yogurt sauce. It’s not just a great combination of flavors, but also of textures – the warm, juicy burger and the cool, creamy sauce. Exquisite!
How to cook lamb burgers
I grill these burgers on a dual-contact, indoor grill. You can obviously use any grill you like, including a grill pan. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
Although the recipe below is written for four quarter-pound lamb burgers, I often make two half-pound burgers, as shown in the video, because I tend to serve these burgers with no bun (not even a low carb bun such as cloud bread).
How to serve these burgers
As I mentioned, I normally serve them on a plate, topped with a dollop of mint yogurt sauce. Sometimes I do go through the trouble of making low-carb bread. As for sides, they go really well with tomato salad, creamy cucumber salad, zucchini fries, and jicama fries.
Are lamb burgers good for you?
I believe they are. While current dietary advice is to limit red meat, fresh unprocessed lamb meat is very nutritious.
As long as one doesn’t overindulge, or have a specific issue that requires them to limit saturated fat (which is generally not harmful), I believe that lamb meat does have a place in a healthy diet.
I would encourage you, however, to try not to char the meat too much. Charred meat is unhealthy.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of these lamb burgers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
Lamb Burgers with Mint Yogurt Sauce
Mint Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb, 85/15
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Avocado oil spray for grill
- To prepare the sauce, process the sauce ingredients in your food processor until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the burger ingredients. Form four (4 oz) patties, 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Or form into two half-pound patties, as shown in the video.
- Preheat your grill over medium-high heat. I used a two sided, dual contact, George Foreman Grill, but any grill will work, including a grill pan. Lightly spray or brush the grill with oil.
- Grill the lamb burgers 5 minutes on the George Foreman grill, or 5 minutes per side if using a regular grill or a grill pan.
- Serve the burgers immediately, with the mint yogurt sauce.