An easy recipe for a healthy, paleo bison burger, served on a grain free bun. Quickly mixed and grilled, these delicious bison burgers are ready in just 20 minutes!
An easy recipe for juicy, flavorful bison burgers.
Bison (buffalo) is naturally lean and high in iron. But the main reason to try it is that bison is generally not subject to the poor treatment cows receive in the US mainstream meat industry.
The only caveat when cooking bison burger: cook it for a shorter time than you would cook beef. Lacking fat, it dries out easily.
As with all burger recipes, the seasonings in this bison burger recipe are very flexible. I use what I like, and you should use what you like – and what you have on hand.
I like to use dried spices, because it’s so convenient, but if you have onions, garlic and parsley in the house, by all means use them! 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, a tablespoon of garlic and 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley would be great in these bison burgers.
The same goes for the cooking method. I like grilling, but pan frying is fine too, and so is broiling.
As for the bun, I use either cloud bread, or low carb English muffins as a low carb bun when I serve burgers. Both are excellent, but the faux English muffin is easier to make, so I tend to default to that.
The good thing about using pretend bread with hamburgers is that real hamburger buns are not that amazing anyway – they’re mostly spongy vehicles for holding the burger and condiments, so it’s not like you’re missing out on anything when using a low carb alternative.
- 1 lb. lean ground bison
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsely
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- In a large bowl, use clean hands to mix the bison meat and spices together until well-seasoned. Form four (4 oz) patties, each 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat a grill, a grill pan or a George Foreman Grill over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Spray the grill surfaces with oil.
- Grill the bison burgers 4 minutes on each side (a total of 4 minutes on a dual contact grill such as the George Foreman grill). Serve immediately.