Crispy, very flavorful jalapeño cheese crisps are the perfect keto and gluten-free snack. Serve them as a party appetizer or make them for game day!
When you're faced with tempting starchy snacks and mourn your inability to eat them, these delicious cheesy crackers are just the thing! 🧀
These jalapeño cheese crisps are the best way to never feel deprived again on your low carb or keto diet. They are wonderfully crunchy and super flavorful.
Keto party snacks
The holidays are tough. Even if you have tons of amazing low carb and keto holiday recipes, there's something about the endless parade of tempting processed snacks that can prove difficult even for the most dedicated low carbers.
I love holiday parties. I love going to them and I love hosting them. It's always fun to start the evening with drinks and a few party snacks. But what to serve that's gluten-free and low carb?
Deviled eggs are always nice. A meat and cheese tray is great. But when you want some crunch, nothing beats these tasty jalapeno cheese crisps (well, except for perhaps these keto cheese chips or bacon chips!).
They are easy to make (watch the video to see how easy), very tasty, and the addition of jalapeños adds just enough heat to make them interesting. They also look great!
Needless to say, even after the holidays, these tasty keto snacks are perfect for game day, and in fact, they make a great low carb snack any day!
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need TWO ingredients to make these tasty keto crisps! How cool is that! I just love recipes with an ultra-short list of ingredients. You will need one fresh jalapeno pepper, and you will also need shredded cheddar. I prefer to use sharp cheddar because it's so flavorful.
How to make jalapeno cheese crisps
It's easy! You can scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to seed and slice the jalapeno. Make sure you wear gloves, as discussed below.
2. Your next step is to arrange mounds of the cheese on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Gently flatten them.
3. Now place a slice of jalapeno in the middle of each of the cheese mounds.
4. Bake them until browned, about 12 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Wear gloves when handling jalapenos!
The only issue with jalapenos is that you should either use gloves when handling them or wash your hands thoroughly right after you do (but wearing gloves is best).
I realize that in the video below I am not wearing gloves. But I wash my hands thoroughly right after. And in this case, I would strongly urge you to do as I say, not as I do. 😀
How to serve them?
Serve them as you would serve any other type of crisp or cracker. They are excellent all on their own, and that's usually how I enjoy them. They also go well with salsa, sour cream, a Greek yogurt dip, or guacamole.
How to store jalapeno cheese crisps?
It's best to serve them a short time after baking them. They are delicious even after a few hours, but they are not as crispy. They are best straight out of the oven.
Still, if you end up with leftovers, you can store them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. They are pretty good cold, but it's best to remove them from the fridge about an hour before you plan on enjoying them.
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Jalapeño Cheese Crisps
- 1 large fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Seed the jalapeño as shown in the video, then slice into thin rings. It's a good idea to wash your hands after handling jalapeño peppers. Better yet, wear gloves while you handle them.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop the cheese into the prepared baking sheet, creating 16 mounds.
- Gently flatten the cheese mounds with your fingers. Keep them about an inch apart from each other.
- Place a slice of jalapeño in the middle of each cheese mound.
- Bake until very browned, about 12 minutes.
- Allow to firm up on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a serving platter and serve.