Crispy, very flavorful jalapeño cheese crisps are the perfect low carb, gluten-free snack. Serve them as a party appetizer or make them for game day!
These jalapeño cheese crisps are the best way to never feel deprived again on your low carb diet (keto cheese roll-ups are another great option).
The holidays are tough. Even if you have tons of amazing low carb, healthy holiday recipes, there’s something about the endless parade of tempting snacks that can prove difficult even for the most dedicated low carbers.
I love holiday parties. I love going to them and I love hosting them. It’s always fun to start the evening with drinks and a few party snacks. But what to serve that’s healthy, gluten free and low carb?
Keto party snacks
Deviled eggs are always nice. A meat and cheese tray is great. But when you want some crunch, nothing beats these jalapeño cheese crisps (well, except for perhaps bacon chips!). They are easy to make (watch the video to see how easy), very tasty, and the addition of jalapeños adds just enough heat to make them interesting. They also look great!
Needless to say, even after the holidays, these crisps are perfect for game day, and in fact, they make a great low carb snack any day!
But are jalapeno cheese crisps healthy?
I think they are. They’re basically cheese and jalapenos. Happily, recent research tells us that for most healthy people, full-fat dairy is not just harmless, but possibly beneficial.
The only issue with jalapenos, which are most definitely healthy, is that you should either use gloves when handling them, or wash your hands thoroughly right after you do (but wearing gloves is best).
Can you store these jalapeno cheese crisps?
It’s best to serve these jalapeño cheese crisps a short time after baking them. They are delicious even after a few hours, but they are not as crispy. They are best straight out of the oven.
Jalapeño Cheese Crisps
- 1 large fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Seed the jalapeño as shown in the video, then slice into thin rings. It’s a good idea to wash your hands after handling jalapeño peppers. Better yet, wear gloves while you handle them.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop the cheese into the prepared baking sheet, creating 16 mounds.
- Gently flatten the cheese mounds with your fingers. Keep them about an inch apart from each other.
- Place a slice of jalapeño in the middle of each cheese mound.
- Bake until very browned, about 12 minutes.
- Allow to firm up on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a serving platter and serve.