Delicious savory cheese balls are an ideal party snack, because they are made in advance and served at room temperature.
I made these creamy, savory cheese balls as a dinner party appetizer a few nights ago. They were a huge hit.
When I entertain, I like to start the evening off with a few simple party appetizers and cocktails. Ideally, the appetizers can be made in advance, and can be served at room temperature. So these savory cheese balls are perfect!
Another wonderful appetizer that I like to serve are these bacon cheese balls, made with shredded cheddar, bacon bits and Dijon mustard. Yum.
These savory cheese balls are delicious, of course. A mixture of cheeses, spices and tasty toppings – why wouldn’t they be? Another plus – they are gorgeous! So pretty and colorful.
The only caveat: they are totally addictive! So if you have any leftovers, and no willpower, give them to your guests at the end of the party.
If you do decide to keep the leftovers, and also when serving these to your guests, remember to take to take the cheese balls out of the fridge an hour before you plan on serving them, to allow them to get to room temperature. Some foods are simply not good when chilled. Cheese and chocolate are prime examples.
Savory Cheese Balls
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
- 1 oz grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt)
- 1 oz finely chopped pecans (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Place the cream cheese, cheddar, Parmesan, garlic, parsley, cayenne, black pepper and kosher salt in your food processor. Process until well blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the mixture into a bowl, cover, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into 20 1-inch cheese balls, each weighing ½ oz (15 grams).
- Roll the cheese balls in the toppings to coat. You will need to gently press the cheese balls into the chopped nuts to help the nuts adhere.
- Serve immediately, with crackers and/or crudités, or refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from fridge 30-60 minutes before serving.