Healthy deviled eggs are made with thick, creamy Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. They are well seasoned, mildly spicy, creamy and delicious!
I make these healthy deviled eggs with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. They are wonderfully creamy and delicious. In fact, they are one of my favorite healthy appetizers.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty appetizer. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Spices: smoked paprika and cayenne pepper
How to make healthy deviled eggs
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by cutting each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks into a small bowl, and arrange the whites on a serving plate.
- Use a fork to mash the egg yolks, then mix the remaining ingredients into them.
- Spoon the mixture back into the egg whites and sprinkle some more smoked paprika on top.
Are deviled eggs healthy?
I believe they are. Eggs are nutritious, and deviled eggs are obviously very suitable for a low carb or keto diet. This is actually one of those happy instances where a very palatable food is also good for you!
But when you make them with standard mayonnaise, they’re arguably not as healthy. This is because mayonnaise is often made with refined, bleached, and deodorized oils (RBD oils). Some consider these oils as unhealthy, especially compared to healthier oils such as olive oil.
One way around this issue is to use avocado oil mayonnaise. Another solution, which I use often, is to use sour cream, as I do in this tasty recipe for spicy deviled eggs.
Can you use Greek yogurt in deviled eggs?
Yes! Greek yogurt totally works. These eggs are not just healthy but also creamy and delicious. The tartness of the Greek yogurt does not come through and is masked well by the various seasonings.
There’s only one reason I can think of to use sour cream or mayonnaise instead of Greek yogurt. If you are on an extremely low carb diet, where every gram of carbs counts, Greek yogurt does contain more carbs than the other options.
What about leftovers?
You can keep these healthy deviled eggs in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. I do think they taste best when fresh, though.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Healthy Deviled Eggs
- 6 large hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks into a small bowl. Arrange the whites on a serving plate.
- Use a fork to mash the egg yolks.
- To the egg yolks, add Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Mix well, until smooth. If the mixture seems too dry, add more Greek yogurt.
- Spoon the mixture back into the egg whites. Sprinkle smoked paprika on top. Serve immediately, or refrigerate. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving.