Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella – a delicious keto low carb snack that’s super easy to make. Ideal for game day!
Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella is the perfect low-carb and keto snack. It’s delicious and very easy to make. The only “difficult” part is remembering to freeze the cheese the night before.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You only need two ingredients to make this tasty snack:
- Mozzarella sticks
- Prosciutto slices
How to make prosciutto wrapped mozzarella
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basic steps:
- Wrap frozen mozzarella sticks in prosciutto.
- Bake briefly.
- You finish this recipe by broiling, just for a few seconds.
Is this a healthy recipe?
There have been some concerns over the past few years about processed meats being a carcinogen. To put things in perspective, I highly recommend that you read this article. Regardless, it’s probably not a bad idea to consume processed meats in moderation. I don’t think anyone would argue that they should be a staple of your diet!
When making prosciutto wrapped mozzarella, I like to use pre-sliced Prosciutto di Parma by Citterio. I get this brand at Trader Joe’s and I believe you can also find it at Costco. The only ingredients are pork and salt. No nitrites or nitrates, not even from natural sources such as celery powder.
How to serve prosciutto wrapped mozzarella
You can serve it as a tasty appetizer, or as a snack. It’s obviously perfect for game day!
More keto snacks you might like
- 4 part-skim mozzarella sticks, halved crosswise
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (4 oz total)
- Place the halved mozzarella sticks on a wax-paper-lined platter or tray and freeze, at least four hours and preferably overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap each frozen mozzarella stick with a slice of prosciutto, as shown in the image below.
- Place the wrapped mozzarella sticks, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Switch the oven to broil, place the baking sheet on the top oven rack, directly under the broiler, and broil until prosciutto is crisp and mozzarella just starts to melt, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.