This honey baked chicken is exceptionally juicy and flavorful. The tasty sauce is made with honey, butter, and mustard. It’s phenomenal!
This honey baked chicken is juicy and very flavorful. Everyone loves it – adults and kids. I usually use chicken drumsticks, but this recipe should also work with bone-in chicken thighs and with whole chicken legs. Just add 5-10 minutes to the baking time.
How to make honey baked chicken
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. The basics? Whisk a quick sauce of melted butter, honey, mustard, and curry powder (which adds tons of flavor!). Brush the chicken with the sauce. Bake 75 minutes in a 350F oven, basting every 15 minutes. That’s it!
I normally cook chicken at a relatively high temperature, at least 400 degrees F (this jerk chicken recipe is a good example), and for a relatively short time. I believe it produces juicier chicken. But in this honey baked chicken recipe, if the temperature is too high, the honey will burn. So I keep the temperature at 350 degrees F.
Basting the chicken is important. Not just to help keep it juicy, but also because the sticky sauce tends to stick to the bottom of the pan, so mixing it up every 15 minutes prevents burning.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. Chicken is nutritious. And happily, current research says there’s no need to remove the chicken skin! As for carbs, despite the honey, the carb count for this honey baked chicken is fairly low – 7 grams for two large drumsticks.
What to serve with honey baked chicken
What about leftovers?
If you have leftovers, you can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
Honey Baked Chicken
- Olive oil spray
- 10 (4 oz each) chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil (to save you some serious cleanup later as the honey caramelizes) and lightly spray it with olive oil spray.
- Arrange the drumsticks in the pan. Whisk together the melted butter, honey, mustard, salt, curry powder and black pepper. Evenly pour the mixture over the chicken, brushing to coat.
- Bake 1 1/4 hours, basting every 15 minutes, until chicken is browned and juices run clear.