A super easy recipe for ground beef breakfast sausage. Mix the beef with the seasonings, spread in a pan, cover and bake, then cut to squares. Tasty!
I love making this ground beef breakfast sausage because it’s so easy. Rather than shape the beef into patties and fry, I simply mix it with seasonings, spread it in a pan, cover, and bake.
When the sausage is done, I cut it into squares and serve. And if you don’t mind pork, this recipe also works well with ground pork.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Ground beef: I use lean ground beef (85% lean and 15% fat). A leaner mixture is going to be too dry.
- Kosher salt: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
- Lots of spices: smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried rosemary, dry mustard, crushed red peppers, and dried thyme. Spices are delicious and healthy, but make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish!
How to make ground beef sausage
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Combine the beef with the spices and mix.
- Spread the mixture in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake about 45 minutes at 300°F.
How to serve ground beef breakfast sausage
Sometimes I serve this dish for dinner, and then I serve it with just about any side dish, such as roasted Brussels sprouts, for example.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this ground beef breakfast sausage in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. They are great sautéed in a little olive oil. Or you can reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
More meaty breakfast recipes
These egg sausage muffins are amazing. They are tasty, and fun to eat! They also look really pretty. And this sausage breakfast casserole is the perfect brunch dish. It’s tasty and filling, and leftovers keep well for several days.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Ground Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 2 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and use clean hands to combine.
- Spread the mixture in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish, pressing on it to ensure it sticks together and to even it out.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil. Bake the ground beef breakfast sausage until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F, about 45 minutes.
- Using a wide slotted spatula, lift the baked ground beef breakfast sausage from the juices in the pan onto a wire rack that you’ve placed on foil. Allow to cool 10 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated, and reheat them in the microwave, or (tastier!) sauté in a skillet with a little olive oil.