Egg muffins are the perfect keto breakfast – tasty, portable, and you can change them up with different cheeses and veggies.
These tasty egg muffins make an easy keto breakfast or snack. I make a batch of them every few days, refrigerate them, and briefly reheat them in the microwave before enjoying them. And if you have extra egg whites, egg-white muffins are also very good.
The ingredients you’ll need
The basic recipe only has five ingredients, but it will vary quite a bit depending on what you decide to add to the muffins. Here’s what you’ll need to make my basic version of keto egg muffins (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Black pepper: Freshly ground black pepper has the best flavor.
Red pepper flakes: They don’t make the muffins spicy – they simply add an additional layer of flavor.
Grated Parmesan: It’s best to use finely grated parmesan and not coarsely shredded.
Chopped scallions: I use the green part only.
Variations on the basic recipe
You can certainly experiment with different seasonings and cheeses. I’ve made these muffins before with sharp cheddar and seeded sliced jalapenos.
I’ve also made them with crumbled feta, dried oregano, and black olives. Both versions were excellent.
Note that I don’t add salt to the mix – the parmesan takes care of that. But if you use cheese that’s not as salty, you might want to add a pinch of salt.
How to make keto egg muffins
A big advantage of this recipe is that it’s so easy to make. The detailed instructions are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
1. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into greased silicone muffin cups. The mixture will be liquid (obviously), so I like to use a measuring cup with a spout when pouring.
3. Bake the muffins until set, about 20 minutes in a 375°F oven.
What pan to use to prevent sticking?
It’s best to bake these keto egg muffins in a lightly greased silicone muffin pan. That’s the only type of pan that they reliably won’t stick to.
Watch the video – I used heart-shaped silicone molds because I made these for Valentine’s Day breakfast. But any silicone mold will do.
How to serve keto egg muffins
When I eat them as a snack, I simply grab one or two and eat them – often straight out of the fridge.
When I serve them for breakfast, I like to add a small bowl with fresh berries on the side. They are also good with some oven bacon, and both can be baked in a 375°F oven.
My husband, who likes his food spicy, likes to drizzle them with hot sauce. And our youngest, The Picky Eater, tops her with ketchup. We simply sigh and avert our eyes. 😮
How to store them
This recipe scales easily. You can triple it to make 12 muffins. Keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.
Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power. Or simply enjoy them cold!
More keto breakfast recipes
Another great portable breakfast is these egg sausage cups. They are a bit more involved in terms of the work they require, but they are excellent.
And for a sweet keto breakfast, try these protein muffins. They are amazing, and very satiating – more so than regular keto muffins.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Egg Muffins
- Nonstick spray (I use avocado oil spray)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, green part
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place four silicone cups on an 8 inch square baking dish and spray them with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the cheese and onions.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups, almost to the edge. The mixture will be liquid (obviously), so I like to use a measuring cup with a spout when pouring.
- Bake until the muffins are set, puffed and lightly browned, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.