Breakfast Egg muffins are the perfect healthy, low carb, portable breakfast. Change them up with different cheeses, vegetables and seasonings.
Breakfast egg muffins are an easy, low carb and protein-rich breakfast or snack (another high protein muffin recipe is this recipe for low carb protein muffins).
I make a batch of these breakfast egg muffins every few days, refrigerate them, and briefly heat in the microwave before enjoying. If you have extra egg white, egg white muffins are also very good.
Reheating is optional, by the way. They are excellent at room temperature, or even cold.
The recipe below is my favorite way to make breakfast egg muffins, but you can certainly experiment with different seasonings and cheeses.
I like adding red pepper flakes, Parmesan and scallions to the muffins. But I’ve made them before with sharp cheddar and seeded sliced jalapenos, or with crumbled feta and black olives. Both versions were excellent.
It’s best to bake these muffins in lightly greased silicone muffin molds. That’s the only type of pan that they reliably won’t stick to. Watch the video – I used heart shaped silicone molds because I made these for Valentine’s Day breakfast… but obviously any silicone mold will do.
The recipe scales easily – triple it to make 12 muffins.
Another great portable breakfast are these egg sausage muffins, made with a sausage “cup.” They are a bit more involved in terms of work, but they are excellent.
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Nonstick spray (I use avocado oil spray)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, green part
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place four silicone cups on an 8 inch square baking dish and spray them with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the cheese and onions.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups, almost to the edge.
- Bake until the breakfast egg muffins are set, puffed and lightly browned, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Allow the breakfast egg muffins to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.