It’s easy to make sausage patties, and the result is so tasty. This delicious keto recipe contains no sugar or breadcrumbs.
Why bother with making these sausage patties when you can buy them at the store? Well, the ingredients list for a well-known brand includes: Pork, Water, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate.
There ARE better brands with a cleaner ingredients list. But it’s so easy to make them at home, and the result is so very tasty. And when you make your own patties, you know exactly what goes into them!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these tasty sausage patties. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Ground pork: I usually get buy an 80/20 blend. 85 lean and 15 fat works too.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: thyme, garlic powder, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Spices are delicious and healthy, but make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish!
- Olive oil for frying: This is a healthy oil, but if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead.
How to make sausage patties
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Mix. You simply mix fresh ground pork meat with lots of spices. The spices are the secret ingredient here. They add a ton of flavor!
- Shape. Now shape the mixture into patties. They won’t be as perfectly shaped as commercial ones – don’t worry about it! Homemade is not supposed to be perfect.
- Cook. Then fry the patties in olive oil until cooked through. See? Easy!
Is this a make-ahead recipe?
Yes! You can make these patties in advance, and freeze for quick and easy midweek meals.
Just remember to place parchment paper between the patties so that they don’t stick to each other. So it’s definitely a good idea to double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.
How to serve sausage patties?
One of my favorite breakfasts is two of these tasty patties with fluffy scrambled eggs. It’s a delicious meal that keeps me full for at least five hours. On the weekend, when I have more time, I also add broiled tomatoes.
What to do with leftovers?
Keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More sausage recipes that you might like
Another great homemade sausage recipe is this recipe for ground beef breakfast sausage. It’s perfect for anyone who prefers to avoid pork.
And this sausage breakfast casserole is an easy make-ahead recipe, and perfect for brunch.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1 lb. ground pork, 85% lean
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or olive oil cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix the pork and the spices. Form into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a nonstick double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Brush with the olive oil.
- Place the sausages on the griddle. Cook 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (to check with a thermometer, insert the thermometer on the side of the patty, pushing it into the middle).