It’s easy to make homemade breakfast sausage patties, and the result is so very tasty. This delicious recipe is keto, paleo, and contains no sugar.
Why bother with making these keto homemade breakfast sausage patties when you can buy them at the store? Well, take a look at the ingredients list for Jimmy Dean’s pork sausage: Pork, Water, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate.
There ARE better alternatives (such as the Applegate brand). But it’s so easy to make sausage patties at home, and the result is so very tasty. And when you make your own patties, you know exactly what goes into them!
How to make homemade breakfast sausage patties
It’s such an easy recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full details. You simply mix fresh ground pork meat with lots of spices, shape into patties, then fry in olive oil. Easy!
Is this a make-ahead recipe?
Yes! You can make these patties in advance, and freeze for quick and easy midweek meals. Just remember to place parchment paper between the patties so that they don’t stick to each other. So it’s definitely a good idea to double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. As I said above, homemade breakfast sausage patties are definitely an improvement over commercial sausage. It’s a simple recipe with whole-foods ingredients and no additives or preservatives.
Fresh unprocessed pork meat is very nutritious, and so are spices and olive oil. And if you’re on the keto or paleo diet and don’t want breadcrumbs in your patties, this is obviously a great recipe for you.
How to serve keto breakfast sausage patties?
One of my favorite breakfasts is two of these homemade breakfast sausage patties with fluffy scrambled eggs. It’s a delicious meal that keeps me full for at least five hours.
More sausage recipes that you might like
Another great homemade sausage recipe is this recipe for ground beef breakfast sausage. It’s perfect for anyone who prefers to avoid pork. And this sausage breakfast casserole is an easy make-ahead recipe, and perfect for brunch.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1 lb. ground pork, 85% lean
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or olive oil cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix the pork and the spices. Form into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a nonstick double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Brush with the olive oil.
- Place the sausages on the griddle. Cook 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (to check with a thermometer, insert the thermometer on the side of the patty, pushing it into the middle).