A quick and easy recipe for a tasty canned salmon salad made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and hot pepper sauce. I make it often for lunch, and it keeps well for several days.
I make this recipe often for lunch. It’s so easy and delicious, and I always have the ingredients on hand. I almost always have canned salmon in the pantry and mayonnaise or Greek yogurt in the fridge.
The remaining ingredients are very flexible, so if you don’t have them, you can simply use what you have!
The ingredients you’ll need
Happily, this canned salmon salad recipe only has six simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need (exact amounts are in the recipe card below):
Canned salmon: I like to use fish that includes the bones and skin, but if you prefer boneless and skinless, that’s fine too.
Black pepper: Freshly ground tastes best.
Mayonnaise: I like to use avocado oil mayonnaise. Sir Kensington’s is my favorite brand.
Dijon mustard: This traditional French mustard is creamier, thicker, and less vinegary than yellow mustard. I highly recommend using Dijon mustard in this particular recipe. It does make a difference.
Hot pepper sauce: This is purely optional and I don’t always add it (I didn’t in the video below). But it does add a nice subtle kick to the salad. My favorite brand is Frank’s.
Capers: Sometimes I use minced black olives instead.
Scallions: I only use the green parts – the white parts are a bit too sharp.
How to make canned salmon salad
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full details. It’s a truly easy recipe! Here are the basic steps:
1. You start by draining the fish well – you don’t want a soupy salad – then flake it with a fork.
2. Next, mix in the remaining ingredients. That’s it! Your tasty lunch is ready.
3. You can either serve it immediately or cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve. This will improve the salad’s flavor, as it will allow the flavors to meld.
Variations on the basic recipe
I like to add capers and scallions to the salad, but you can use lots of other things. Over the years, I tried and liked chopped olives, chopped cucumber pickles, diced celery, and diced red onions.
You can also add chopped eggs for a super filling and delicious meal – but then add a bit more mayonnaise.
As mentioned above, another tasty addition is to add a few drops of hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s).
You can substitute Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise if you’d like. But mayonnaise is tastier and creamier. Greek yogurt is a bit too tangy, in my opinion. Another option is to use sour cream. I haven’t tried that, but it sure sounds good.
How to serve canned salmon salad
It’s also good when scooped out with almond flour crackers. But when I’m super lazy, I just eat it out of a bowl with a spoon!
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. They keep quite well actually – just make sure to give them a quick stir before you use them.
More tasty recipes
I have several more tasty canned fish recipes that you might like. These salmon cakes are so easy to make and so delicious! And if you prefer tuna to salmon, this tuna salad is really good, and just as easy to make as this one.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Canned Salmon Salad
- 7.5 oz canned salmon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, green part
- Drain the salmon. Transfer to a small bowl. Flake with a fork.
- Add the black pepper, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and (if using) hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Mix in the capers and scallions.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill to allow flavors to meld.