Tasty keto soft pretzels are made with modified Fathead dough. They are flavorful, chewy, and make a great low carb snack.
These keto soft pretzels are wonderfully chewy and fragrant. They are made from modified Fathead dough. I add a bit more almond flour than the original recipe calls for, otherwise the dough is too sticky to handle.
I also add several seasonings and a bit of Parmesan cheese, which give these keto pretzels a wonderful flavor.
It’s amazing to see how this dough bakes, golden and puffy and beautiful. While these are by no means true pretzels – they can’t be without gluten, yeast and boiling prior to baking – they do give you the experience of a crusty exterior, a chewy interior and an intense flavor profile.
These keto soft pretzels make a wonderful snack, but I actually like them best for breakfast with my coffee!
If you have leftovers, freeze them in ziploc bags, and gently thaw in the microwave.
PS. Another great keto almond flour recipe is this recipe for almond flour cheese biscuits. And you should definitely try this keto garlic bread! Or maybe you shouldn’t… it’s probably too tasty for your own good. 😀
Keto Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/4 cups blanched finely ground almond flour (5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups shredded part skim mozzarella (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with a teaspoon of water
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave until completely melted (30-40 more seconds), and stir again.
- Quickly add the almond flour mixture and the beaten egg. Mix to incorporate, then knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin 18-inch rope, then shape the rope into a pretzel, as shown in the video.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.