These amazing keto pretzels are made with modified Fathead dough. They are so very flavorful!
They make the perfect low-carb snack, but they're also great as part of a meal. I love having them for lunch!
These pretzels are wonderfully chewy and fragrant. They make a wonderful low-carb snack, and I also really enjoy them for breakfast with my coffee!
They are made with modified Fathead dough, which truly is a miracle dough. It's made with cream cheese, mozzarella, and almond flour, but it bakes almost like a real dough. Soft and fragrant and oh so delicious. 🥨
You'll only need a few ingredients to make these delicious keto pretzels. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Almond flour: An excellent flour substitute that baked exceptionally well. I use blanched finely ground flour. I don't recommend using a coarse almond meal in this recipe.
- Grated Parmesan: Finely grated, not coarsely shredded.
- Baking powder: Make sure it's fresh. And if you need it to be gluten-free, please verify that as well.
- Spices: I use garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Cheeses: Shredded mozzarella and cream cheese.
- Egg and an egg wash: An egg wash, for brushing the top of the pretzels, is made from an egg yolk beaten with a teaspoon of water.
- Coarse salt: For sprinkling on top of the pretzels.
Making these amazing keto pretzels is surprisingly easy. Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here's an overview of the steps:
You start by whisking together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
Next, microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until melted. Then add the almond flour mixture and the egg and knead into a smooth dough.
Divide the dough into portions and shape those portions into pretzels (the video below shows you exactly how to do it).
Brush the pretzels with an egg wash and sprinkle them with coarse salt, then bake them in a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes.
As mentioned above, I make these tasty pretzels using modified Fathead dough. I add a bit more almond flour than the original recipe calls for. Otherwise, the dough is too sticky to handle. I don't recommend trying to make them with classic fathead dough.
Frequently asked questions
No. It's amazing to see how this dough bakes, golden and puffy and beautiful. But these are by no means true pretzels. They can't be without gluten, yeast, and boiling them prior to baking.
However, despite their limitations, these pretzels do give you the experience of a crusty exterior, a chewy interior, and an intense flavor profile. Even my two teenage testers, who frequently eat regular pretzels, really liked them.
No, unfortunately, you can't. Almond flour and coconut flour are very different and behave differently when baked. They are not interchangeable.
You can skip it, but it doesn't make the pretzels spicy. It merely adds an additional layer of flavor.
You can vary this recipe by using different spices. A pinch of dried thyme or dried oregano will be good.
You can also use different toppings instead of coarse salt, such as sesame seeds, bagel seasoning, poppy seeds, or even za'atar spice.
You can also serve them for lunch alongside soups such as this broccoli soup. And as mentioned above, I sometimes have one for breakfast with my coffee.
If you have leftovers, it's best to freeze them in freezer bags, and gently thaw them in the microwave. They don't keep very well in the fridge, but they do keep well in the freezer.
👩🏻🍳 I aim to publish a new recipe once or twice a month. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Amazing Keto Pretzels
- 1 ¼ cups blanched finely ground almond flour (5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp of water, for egg wash
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave until completely melted (30-40 more seconds), and stir again.
- Quickly add the almond flour mixture and the beaten egg. Mix to incorporate, then knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin 18-inch rope, then shape the rope into a pretzel, as shown in the video.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Serve them immediately.