Tasty keto soft pretzels are made with modified Fathead dough. They are flavorful, chewy, and make a great low carb snack.
These pretzels are wonderfully chewy and fragrant. They make a wonderful low carb snack, and I also really enjoy them for breakfast with my coffee!
They are made with modified “Fathead dough,” which truly is a miracle. It’s made with cream cheese, mozzarella and almond flour, but it bakes almost like a real dough. Soft and fragrant and so delicious. 🥨
The ingredients you’ll need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make keto soft pretzels (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Almond flour: An excellent flour substitute that baked exceptionally well. I use blanched finely ground flour. I don’t recommend using a coarse almond meal.
Grated Parmesan: Finely grated, not coarsely shredded.
Baking powder: Make sure it’s fresh.
Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Cheeses: Shredded mozzarella and cream cheese.
Egg and an egg wash: An egg wash, for brushing the top of the pretzels, is made from an egg yolk beaten with a teaspoon of water.
Coarse salt: For sprinkling on top.
How to make keto soft pretzels
I make these pretzels using modified Fathead dough. I add a bit more almond flour than the original recipe calls for. Otherwise, the dough is too sticky to handle.
I also add several seasonings, including garlic powder and cayenne pepper, and a bit of Parmesan cheese, which give these keto pretzels a wonderful flavor. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. You start by whisking together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
2. Next, microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until melted. Then add the almond flour mixture and the egg and knead into a smooth dough.
3. Divide the dough into portions and shape into pretzels (the video below shows you exactly how to do it).
4. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt, then bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
Do they taste like real pretzels?
No. It’s amazing to see how this dough bakes, golden and puffy and beautiful. But these are by no means true pretzels. They can’t be without gluten, yeast, and boiling them prior to baking.
However, despite their limitations, these pretzels do give you the experience of a crusty exterior, a chewy interior, and an intense flavor profile. Even my two teenage testers, who frequently eat regular pretzels, really liked them and asked for seconds.
How to store keto soft pretzels
If you have leftovers, it’s best to freeze them in freezer bags, and gently thaw in the microwave. They don’t keep very well in the fridge, but they do keep well in the freezer.
Reviews of this recipe
Pinterest users are generally pleased with this keto soft pretzel recipe, and their photos are just gorgeous! Here are some of their comments:
- Marie says, “I made mine into strips and I topped with pretzel salt. They are a good substitute. Good with mustard.”
- Frances comments, “Turned out yummy!”
- Christine: “Loved this recipe!”
- And I love the way Leila adds jalapeños to her pretzels!
More tasty recipes that you might like
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/4 cups blanched finely ground almond flour (5 oz) (it’s best so measure by weight)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tsp of water, for egg wash
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave until completely melted (30-40 more seconds), and stir again.
- Quickly add the almond flour mixture and the beaten egg. Mix to incorporate, then knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin 18-inch rope, then shape the rope into a pretzel, as shown in the video.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.