Tasty keto soft pretzels are made with modified Fathead dough. They are flavorful, chewy, and make a great low carb snack.
These keto soft pretzels are wonderfully chewy and fragrant. They make a wonderful low carb snack, and I also really enjoy them for breakfast with my coffee!
The ingredients needed to make keto soft pretzels
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty snack:
- Almond flour
- Grated Parmesan
- Baking powder
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper
- Shredded mozzarella
- Cream cheese
- Egg wash: an egg yolk beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Coarse salt
How to make keto soft pretzels
I make these pretzels using modified Fathead dough. I add a bit more almond flour than the original recipe calls for. Otherwise, the dough is too sticky to handle.
I also add several seasonings, including garlic powder and cayenne pepper, and a bit of Parmesan cheese, which give these keto pretzels a wonderful flavor.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You start by whisking together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- Next, microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until melted.
- Add the almond flour mixture and the egg and knead into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into portions and shape into pretzels (the video below shows you exactly how to do it).
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
Do they taste like real pretzels?
It’s amazing to see how this dough bakes, golden and puffy and beautiful. But these are by no means true pretzels. They can’t be without gluten, yeast, and boiling them prior to baking.
However, despite their limitations, these keto soft pretzels do give you the experience of a crusty exterior, a chewy interior, and an intense flavor profile. Even my two teenage testers, who frequently eat regular pretzels, really liked them and asked for seconds.
Is it a healthy recipe?
As for the dairy in this recipe, unless you’re sensitive to dairy, it’s a fine choice – current research tells us that for most healthy people, dairy fat is harmless.
Keep in mind that this is a high-fat dish, so it’s not appropriate for someone who needs to follow a low-fat diet. But if you follow a low carb diet, and don’t shy away from saturated fats, then this is likely a good choice for you.
How to store keto soft pretzels
If you have leftovers, it’s best to freeze them in freezer bags, and gently thaw in the microwave. They don’t keep very well in the fridge, but they do keep well in the freezer.
Reviews of this recipe
I love finding reviews of my recipes on Pinterest and Instagram. The good reviews make me very happy, of course. The critical ones make me work harder to improve my recipes. So I’m grateful for all your reviews!
Pinterest users are generally pleased with this keto soft pretzels recipe, and their photos are just gorgeous! Here are some of their comments:
- Marie says, “I made mine into strips and I topped with pretzel salt. They are a good substitute. Good with mustard.”
- Frances comments, “Turned out yummy!”
- Christine: “Loved this recipe!”
- And I love the way Leila adds jalapeños to her pretzels!
- Shawna is more critical of this recipe. She says, “It was pretty good bread; I made a sandwich, but pretzel.. not so much. Still a great recipe! Thank you! I haven’t had a sandwich in a year, and now I can.” I get what she means – this is not true yeasty pretzel dough. It can’t be. But I do think it’s pretty close and a good substitute.
More tasty recipes that you might like
Keto Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/4 cups blanched finely ground almond flour (5 oz) (it’s best so measure by weight)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tsp of water, for egg wash
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave until completely melted (30-40 more seconds), and stir again.
- Quickly add the almond flour mixture and the beaten egg. Mix to incorporate, then knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin 18-inch rope, then shape the rope into a pretzel, as shown in the video.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.