Tasty keto soft pretzels are made with modified Fathead dough. They are flavorful, chewy, and make a great low carb snack.
These keto soft pretzels are wonderfully chewy and fragrant. They make a wonderful low carb snack, and I also really enjoy them for breakfast with my coffee!
How to make keto soft pretzels
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full details. I make these pretzels using modified Fathead dough. I add a bit more almond flour than the original recipe calls for. Otherwise, the dough is too sticky to handle. I also add several seasonings, including garlic powder and cayenne pepper, and a bit of Parmesan cheese, which give these keto pretzels a wonderful flavor.
Do they taste like real pretzels?
It’s amazing to see how this dough bakes, golden and puffy and beautiful. These are by no means true pretzels. They can’t be without gluten, yeast, and boiling them prior to baking. But these keto soft pretzels do give you the experience of a crusty exterior, a chewy interior, and an intense flavor profile. Even my two teenage testers, who frequently eat regular pretzels, really liked them and asked for seconds.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. It’s a vast improvement over high-carb, inflammatory wheat flour pretzels. Almond flour is very healthy. As for the dairy in this recipe, unless you’re sensitive to dairy, it’s a fine choice – current research tells us that dairy fat is harmless.
How to store keto soft pretzels
If you have leftovers, it’s best to freeze them in freezer bags, and gently thaw in the microwave. They don’t keep very well in the fridge, but they do keep well in the freezer.
More tasty recipes that you might like
Keto Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/4 cups blanched finely ground almond flour (5 oz) (it's best so measure by weight)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with a teaspoon of water
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave until completely melted (30-40 more seconds), and stir again.
- Quickly add the almond flour mixture and the beaten egg. Mix to incorporate, then knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin 18-inch rope, then shape the rope into a pretzel, as shown in the video.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.